Military Firearm Restoration Corner

teflon coating

claytonfaulkner

(6/9/05 16:29)

teflon coating

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

where can i get Teflon coating done and how much does it cost? also has anyone used it before? i have never seen a gun with it or talk to someone that has used it but it seems like a good idea. also where can i get some info on finishing a stock? i have decided to get a richards microfit wildcat or dual grip in semi fancy grade claro walnut or grade A claro walnut.

Odies dad

(6/10/05 7:42)

Re: teflon coating

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought a film of Teflon would be the ticket to slick up and tighten a Mauser action but don't know how to go about doing it.

As to the stock, On my Richards, I used the Truoil kit and am very happy with the results. It comes with the instructions. Be prepared to do a lot of sanding, but you will love the results.

Liberals are the only known species whose powers of reasoning are not improved by the benefit of hindsight.

SB48

(6/10/05 8:09)

Reply Re: teflon coating

you might check with Ford's Refinishing in Florida about the teflon? I've never been a big fan of this finish, peels too easy. Remember, teflon is used to make the outside surface of thing slick. As for stock finish, I prefer the Danish tongue oil. to Casey's, and it's much easier to work with.

Jimro

(6/10/05 16:16)

My dad had it done on a 7mm Mag, was a nice touch. A lot more impervious to the elements than a standard bluing job.

Jimro

claytonfaulkner

(6/10/05 16:43)

well now that i think of it, ive never seen a teflon coating pan that lasted more than 3 years, maby its not that great or it mgiht have somethin to do with the heat in a pan

Doble Troble

(6/10/05 18:29)

Re: teflon coating

I got in trouble about a year ago for searing some steaks in my wife's new teflon pan at 500*. The center bubbled and ruined the thing. The steaks were still good .

I now reach for my well-seasoned cast iron without fail. I think of a well-seasoned cast iron pan as essentially rust blued. It's impervious to everything, including a good scrubbing which I discourage but am not around all the time to prevent.

I am Bubba (but learning)

Mauser98

(6/10/05 23:40)

I had my FN(Mauser) in .35 Whelen tefloned a few years ago. It looked great for a year or so but soon the bolt knob was peeled bare. What really did it for me was when i peeled the electricials tape off the muzzle and the teflon came with it.

I ended up wire brushing the telfon off. It was the only way I could get it off.

Next step - rust blueing.

horsefly

(6/11/05 4:44)

Reply Re:teflon coating

Claytonfaulkner,I'm glad you ask this question about teflon,because it's something I've wondered about myself and now am convinced it's something I'll not mess with.Jerry

fritz

The Gentleman Farmer

(6/11/05 19:24)

Reply Re: Re:teflon coating

I still say you can't beat a good old-fashioned hot bluing job.

It has been around so long now that it has stood the test of time, but then they didn't have teflon in those "old days".

If folks would just clean their guns before storing them, it will be good for generations.

fritz

"It seems like yesterday, but it was long ago---we were young and strong and running against the wind"

Sailormilan2

(6/11/05 23:31)

I have used the KG Coating spray on/bake on paint for several guns. Before I bought them I asked Customer Service at KG Coatings which was harder. Their response was that the Teflon based paint was the softest, with the Moly based next up the ladder, and the Boron (Stainless Steel colored) based paint the hardest.

donmarkey

(6/12/05 6:34)

It softer because of it's lubricating properties.

Don

mod70

(6/12/05 15:44)

ezSupporter

KG coatings

Sailorman

Was it you who said in the 'old' gun coatings thread that you use a stainless steel coating from some company that you have been very satisfied with? The poster also quoted prices and ordering info IIRC. I sure wish those old threads would be found & restored!

Doble Troble

(6/12/05 18:00)

Re: KG coatings

Dust in the wind.

And no apology from hardboards. The good thing is is that people are still posting and the knowledge base will be restored in time - if FC hasn't been terminally frustrated with all his wasted time.

Another good thing is that the system seems to be running smoother. But I betcha once the knowledge accumulates to it's former level that the system will bog down again. Maybe Oliver Stone would suspect that the mysterious hacker was hardboards just trying to postpone upgrading hardware.

I am Bubba (but learning)

Sailormilan2

(6/12/05 18:07)

Reply Re: KG coatings

Mod70, yes, I used the KG Coatings "Brushed Stainless Steel" finish. Seems to be very hard and smooth, I like it. Not as dark as the finish on the Ruger SS guns.

Sailormilan2

(6/12/05 18:33)

user posted image

mod70

(6/12/05 18:44)

ezSupporter

Re: KG coatings

Thanks sailorman

That is the brand I was trying to remember. Love that look and have 2 projects I am working on that I want to do with that finish. Where do you buy it? I have an airbrush and and an adjustable full size sprayer and am building an oven so I need to go ahead and order some paint. Is there anything else I need? I am going to bead blast the metal before application. What do you use to block off the inside of the receiver when you do yours? Any tips you would be willing to pass along from your experiences?

Sailormilan2

(6/12/05 18:53)

Mod70, scoped rifle is a 22/250 with polished SS barrel and natural metal receiver. Second rifle is a 35 Whelen with the KG Coatings Brushed Stainless Finish.