Military Firearm Restoration Corner

-06 In -07

IPB Image

I thought it was about time that I posted something productive around here. I wanted to wait until I'm done, but I wanted to FINISH this in 06 and realize now that that ain't gonna happen so at least I can post about what I've done on this project for the last year (I kinda got distracted by Buffalo shoots and Garand matches).

Any way this started out as a K98 Yugo refurb with all but a few waffenmatts removed. I found a decent piece of California Claro that I think will eventually look nice despite all the chilsel explosions (I keep 'em sharp, honest).

The FRICKIN' bolt handle has been the most difficult part so far. I've tried hard on this one and I'm convinced that if I heat it up again with my little OA rig that it's going to turn into a briquette. OA is great for a lot of things, and it CAN get a bolt handle on a Mauser bolt, but you'll be working very hard to get it to look good. I'm sure that real welders can do better than I've done. This was a special project, and if to make it special for me I HAD to do everything myself. If I'd wanted it to really look good I would have emailed Z immediately to get on his waiting list.

The grip cap and tip are ebony which I think looks really good, but that wasn't easy either. The ebony is much harder than the walnut and so trying to get the interfaces "together" requires careful rasping and sanding. The walnut goes "bye-bye" much faster than the ebony and if you're not careful a trough is produced at the interface.

Warts and all I think I'm going to love this rifle. It's got a LW 30-06 bbl - 25.5". This is going to be my personal "magnum".

I'll post some final pix again when it's complete.

Until then - HAPPY NEW YEAR!

looks good so far. Sometimes doing it yourself is more important than things being perfect. I'll be sending a batch off to the heat treater in the next month maybe. If you want to send that bolt off with it let me know.

If it is any consolation, unless I get laid off tomorrow, my 2006 .30-06 ain't gonna get finished this year either.

06-07 who cares! The schedule you're on is lookin fine. That stock is gorgeous. I don't know the proper name for how it's sawn, slab or quarter, but it's my favorite. The early stages of finishing just have to include a soaking of linseed / turp mix and pop those stripes. I like the overall shape alot, too. Don't knock your bolt handle job - at least you got the brass ones to try it. You should see my work with a gas wrench. Looks like miniature Hiroshima. You're well on your way to a sharp one.

Thanks, Z. I was careful about the lugs and they are still too hard to file. I did have to reharden the cocking cam and bolt root and even broke-out the Kasenite for this job. I think what needs to be hard is (I hope...). Worst case its going to bend and not break.

DT,

Great report and Great work! That walnut is going to be beautiful!! I can't wait to see the finished product.

I know what you mean about the chip outs. I'm at ths stage of doing some of the final shaping on my cherry mannlicher stock. I've had to rein myself in and go slow. That's the hard part, cause I want to go FAST when I see the shape taking form!

Hang in there and Please post pics along the way.

LC

That's going to be one fine looking rifle there and the stock will be beautiful. As has been said already, it is not the date of completion but rather the final product and the joy it brings you that counts. With what I have seen here you are not going to lack in the happiness department with this one. Your project is inspiring me to get back to work on something and with winter here maybe the time has come. Great looking rifle DT, you are doing yourself proud. swamp_thing

As you know from some of my other post, I can sympathize with your bolt welding problems.

As much a I hate to let anyone work on my rifles, I’ve resigned myself to the fact that on my next project I’m going to get someone with a tig to do the welding.

Kenny

That is going to be one sharp looking rifle! I don't see a thing wrong with that bolt. I would be more than happy with it. Working on a piece of wood with that much grain is likely to be exasparating. I understand doing things yourself. Heck, I don't even like help cooking supper. I may not have given myself an A grade on all aspects on my single Mauser project, but I will do better on the next one. I believe I am too stubborn and cheap to let anyone help, other than a bit of working with my Dad (shop teacher) on the welding of my bolt. He kept me going in the right direction. Now that we are older we don't even fight when we work together. Keep showing pics. I will keep looking at all of your projects and learning what I can.

• 4 months later...

FC,

Thanks for the kick in the pants!

I got distracted yet again!

But its starting to get humid over here again and so should be perfect bluing conditions soon.