Military Firearm Restoration Corner

6.5 Carcano Brass

fritz

Anyone know of a reasonable source of the new brass? Graf's is backordered, and Midway only has the high priced stuff at around 90 cents each, just the brass. It would be cheaper to buy loaded ammo, and even that is overpriced.

I may have to sell the old carcano after all.

fritz

So, after reaming the chamber of a carcano to .257 Roberts, do you then reform the .257 Roberts brass to .264?

fritz

yes you fireform it. That is what I thought that they may have done to mine!! It was not. I have only made the one 6.5 from a 30-30, and was wondering if it was a feasable conversion [30-30 brass to 6.5] . But now that you mention it, those who have the 257 reamed chambers, are having very good luck w/ them. In fact remember that the 257 is only a necked down 7X57, so brass is doubly plentiful!! Good luck w/ whatever you decide. MV

Thanks, I'm going to slug the barrel of the carcano and if it appears to be close to the correct .264 dia. I may do the reamer job. If the bore is worn, I'll probably just leave it as a wallhanger.

I already have the headspace guages for the .257 (same as 7x57 mauser) and I believe the reamer co-op may have a .257 Roberts reamer. Do you think that a finish reamer will do the job? It looks like you would need to ream the chamber out to 57mm from the 52mm of the carcano.

If a finish reamer will work, I'll give it a try.

fritz

I would not hesitate to do that job w/ a finish reamer myself, as alot of material is already "out". If you have "wildcat" experience, this should be a cake walk.. I don't think you will need dies!! I would Fireform 257 brass, and then neck size, If they get "long" I would think that a 7X57 die will push em back [of course take the expander out] enough to start over w/ the neck sizer... LMK If I can help somehow. MV

• 2 weeks later...

I have some loaded ammo coming from AIM at $9.50 a box, reloadable brass case. A friend wanted a scope mount for his SKS, and they had a 4x32 Leapers scope and mount for $35, so I ordered it and threw in the ammo.

I'll see what it does with the correct ammo. I was using regular 6.5mm (.264) bullets in it at first. That was many years ago, and I couldn't hit the side of my barn with it. The correct bullet is .268.

fritz