Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New Mausers, New Troubles

z1r

So, I went to the ffl today to start the paperwork on two Swedish mausers I traded bolt work for. One was a Husky M46 in 9.3x57. It is built off of the M96 action. It had been Drilled & tapped so I plan to cut the barrel to 20" and restock it mannlicher style.

The other is also a Husky, but a commercial variant with no thumb cut.

the problem is the guy sent hem in a big box with each gun in a seperate sopft case. The 9.3x57 made it without a hitch. However, the rarer 8x57 Commercial had the toe busted out of the stock. Not a nice clean break either. More likes in pieces. If it had been the 9.3x57 I wouldn't have cared but I wanted to keep this one intact and original.

Well, I have more 8x57's than I can shake a stick at so maybe it will be rebarrelled into a 6.5x55 with a light 22" bbl and restocked. Nothing to do now but make lemonade. I'll post up pics in two weeks.

Thanks Tony, but I wasn't able to find all the pieces. I think some fell out onto the floor under the counter. I found the end most piece of the plastic buttplate but not the middle section. Some may be in the gun case still. Kinda bums me out because it was very nice in the pics. Oh well, despite being original it wasn't the best stock design I ever saw.

Thanks for the offer though!

You didn't mention the action type of the broken stock model. I have a Husqvarna commercial butt plate with it's white spacer and the special original screws it came with.

I also have a small ring Husqvarna M98 stock with a schnauble fore end which I think is among the best looking of the Husq. stocks, it appears to be very lightly used. There are a few very small specks on latex paint from an overloaded roller which got onto the stock. Would this help restore the 9.3? Bill

You didn't mention the action type of the broken stock model. I have a Husqvarna commercial butt plate with it's white spacer and the special original screws it came with.

I also have a small ring Husqvarna M98 stock with a schnauble fore end which I think is among the best looking of the Husq. stocks, it appears to be very lightly used. There are a few very small specks on latex paint from an overloaded roller which got onto the stock. Would this help restore the 9.3? Bill

Bill,

Wow, yes it would. Let's talk.

Thanks,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so here's some pics.

In this pic you can see the Husky M46 9.3x57 I acquired last year on top and on bottom is the 8x57 Commercial Husky. If you remember, the 8x57 was the one that came with the stock broken. It's barrel contour exactly matched that of the new 9.3x57 I just bought so I put the barreled action into that stock. Remember, the new 9.3x57 is destined to become full stocked in the mannlicher style.

IPB Image

In this pic you can see my old M46 with the new 9.3x57 barreled action after I cut the barrel to 19.6", recrowned, and reinstalled the sights.

IPB Image

And here you see the shortend Barreled aaction and the Fajen stock it will be fitted to.

IPB Image

I had to make a new rear scope base that would properly clear the charger hump yet still seat properly on the bridge. With a set of Leupold QW style quick release rings the bolt handle will even clear a scope. I may get a new swede bolt and weld on a proper handle later. But, for now the idea is to get it running with as little effort & expense as possible.