Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Extraction Problem In Rem. 742

fritz

Fellows, I don't ask a lot of questions here, but a friend brought me a Remington 742 semi-auto in 30/06 that is having extraction problems.

Here is what the extracted (after repeated attempts) case looks like--

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/fritz/case.jpg

It looks like the extractor is slipping past the rim and not fully extracting it.

I am just at the beginning stages of checking this rifle out, and I know that I should go through the cleaning, etc. before asking questions. But this rifle looks immaculate, and (supposedly) has been cleaned before. How "before" I am yet to determine.

Since semi-auto Remingtons are not my normal "faulty firearms, can you fix?", can someone give me a clue as to what to go on to "fix" this one?

Damned, at longer look at that case rim, it looks like the extractor is trying to do its job (why is the rim so distorted), so it must be something else.

Thanks,

fritz

Fritz.....the problem is most likely the extractor ring, it is probably cracked at the rivet or part of the "claw" that grasps the case is gone.......OR....there is rust in the chamber, this happens when a catridge is left in the rifle during rapid temperature changes, the casing sweats and surface rust forms...you cannot easily remove it by simple cleaning........the barrel nut is removed, the gas tube and recoil spring Assy. dis-assembled. The barrel can then be reamed if needed or using a bore brush with 0000 steel wool wound onto polish the chamber with the aid of a hand drill.

The way to check to see which problem you have: Load magazine with one round, discharge....when the bolt locks back or is back as far as the recoil sent it......check to see if the case is hard to remove or is partially removed from the chamber, if the case is stuck....you have a rusted chamber......if the case falls out with little or no persuasion......it is the extractor......Brownells sells the replacement parts (extractor ring and two rivets) when you determine that it is the extractor.........and need further help...(If this is your first 742...you will need help) let me know....I have done a ......"few".

I believe the problem was a dirty chamber. Semis are notorious for requiring clean chambers (except the AKs). I cleaned the bore, and the chamber as well as I could (this being a semi-auto) and the first shots worked fine. He was using Remington factory loads, and after cleaning it works with his ammo.

I'll try it tomorrow with some other ammo, and if it works he will just have to admit he didn't clean it well enough.

Ain't that the case in too many guns being returned to gunsmiths? At least I ain't going to charge him $50 for cleaning it.

I read the book I have on dissambly/reassembly on the 742, and it says that this is a difficult rifle to take apart. Even minor extractor or ejector replacement requires the complete dissasembly.

I would definitely need help if I had to do that.

Thanks,

fritz

"It looks like the case is hanging in the chamber. Maybe hit it with Kroil first?"

Yep, that's what I did and it chambered and extracted smoothly afterwards. I need to get one of those chamber brushes for a semiauto. I found a pack of 4" long acetone alcohol swabs in the first-aid kit. They had a flexible plastic stem and a large cotton tip soaked with alcohol. I could bend them just enough to get into the chamber with the bolt locked back. But a brush would be better for major fouling.

fritz