Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Fitting Barrel To A Large Ring Receiver?

Kyle

I've heard that it is possible to make a threaded bushing and adapt a barrel with small threads to fit a large ring receiver. Has anyone ever heard of something like this?

I'd like to be able to use a Winchester 70 or Remington 700 barrel on my large ring 98 action if it is possible.

Can it be done?

why? why put your safety at risk with a 60,000 psi explosion next to your face with a ill-fitting barrel? just spend the extra $30 for a properly threaded barrel. remember, just because it's cheaper doesnt make it a good deal... or a good idea!

Kyle, Ford built the pinto. Just because they did it didn't mean it was a good idea.

If you don't want to spend a lot on a gun get a nice Stevens 200. It will cost you tons less than building a Mauser of questionable quality. Re-read that post, you will see that there are many who don't condone that practice.

If you have access to all the machinery you say then surely it would be just as easy if not easier for you to get a proper barrel, even an adams & bennet and install it.

The A&B barrels are cheap enough from midway so why even bother? They are only $90, so i dont see what is so expensive about them. You can get them for less when they go on sale, which happens quite regularly. If you got access to the tools you can just get a cheap blank and chamber it yourself. Think about it this way, is risking your life worth it to save less then $40?

The A&B barrels from Midway are cheap but if you look at their selection you'll see that they don't have the calibers I'm interested in. I'd like a Mauser in .300 Win Mag which is by no means a rare cartridge but they don't even have that.

So unless there is somewhere else I could get a nice barrel in a caliber I'd like I would be saving much more then $30 or $40.

On that thread it seems the only people concerned about it as far as safety, accuracy, etc are people who have never tried it themselves. A least a couple people in that thread have done it and where pleased with the results and one guy even said he got the idea from P.O. Ackley. Apparently the early A&B barrels where even sold like that and they haven't had any problems.

.300 win mag barrels show up all the time on ebay. rrguns has 1 new charles daly barrel listed about ever week. If you have access to a good lathe and seeing you got to get a reamer to use a rem rethread anyway, just get a blank or open up a .30-06 barrel that you can get for cheap from a+b.

-Don

Kyle, you do not have to have tried something yourself to know it ain't a good idea. I once saw a friend set himself on fire. I didn't have to do it myself to know it was not a good idea.

So, you want a .300 win mag? Well, buy the 30 caliber barrel blank and rent a reamer, you would have to get a reamer anyway even with your bushing plan.

Here's a cheap blank, $79 add a reamer for $35. Not bad. Barrel Blank

Or, try ER shaw, you can get a mauser barrel long chambered in .300 Win Mag for a mere $135. By the time you get a take off barrel, make the bushing, thread it, rent the reamer to set headspace with, you will not save much. And, a long chambered barrel is much easier to install.

But, if you are insistent on making a bushing, have at it.

There are blanks for less then $50 if your so hard up for cash. Midway does have the barrels in 300 win from time to time or get one direct. Numrich also has them for $120 right now in stock. And as don said why not take any large ring barrel in .308 or 30/06 and ream it out. They are in stock from midway and are cheap.

But why would you even consider half assing somthing that could possibly mame or kill you? And why ask the question if you are insistent on doing it anyway and igone others warnings?

But why would you even consider half assing somthing that could possibly mame or kill you? And why ask the question if you are insistent on doing it anyway and igone others warnings?

That is the question of the day. Well put Bob.

Thanks guys. I've decided to go ahead and do it the right way after hearing your reasoning.

"And why ask the question if you are insistent on doing it anyway and igone others warnings?"

Bob, I'm asking the question and trying to understand both sides before I make my final decision. The only reason I was persistent about the barrel bushing was because I wasn't really satisfied with the reasons not to do it and I was just trying to get a better understanding of why I shouldn't do it. If I just read the first post that said it probably isn't a good idea and made my decision off that then what would I have learned?

The only reason I was persistent about the barrel bushing was because I wasn't really satisfied with the reasons not to do it and I was just trying to get a better understanding of why I shouldn't do it.

I'll bet you hated it when you were a kid and your parents said "because I said so"! ;)

I found a barrel blank that I think would be a good choice. At 25 1/4in it is about the length I want and it is also a heavy barrel like I wanted. It's also affordable. .30 Cal barrel blank

So if I got this blank and a chamber reamer for .300 Win Mag I'll be set, right? If I understand correctly I'll have to put a crown on the barrel, ream out the chamber and then thread to fit the 98 Mauser. Where can I get a chamber reamer for it?