Military Firearm Restoration Corner

220 Swift Build

slseacrist

I just finished this 220 Swift. I built it for my cousin for his college graduation. A few of the specs, a blue printed1909 Argentine, fiddle back maple stock, V forend tip, model 70 type safety, custom bolt handle. Just about done, waiting on a piece of ivory or bone to cover the screw on the grip cap, (supposedly my uncle has a piece from a long time ago) Will get it out to the range after the new year. I though you guys might like too see. Now onto my next project, 300 Wby. Mag.

See Pics

[attachmentid=315] [attachmentid=317] [attachmentid=316]

post-437-1166657382_thumb.jpg

post-437-1166657425_thumb.jpg

post-437-1166657442_thumb.jpg

Extremely fine craftmanship, which I believe is the key element in anything. While my favorite is classic, I have trouble taking my eyes off this because of it's beauty.

I have pics on the wall facing my workbench which I glance at when doing work on guns. Most of the time when I glance up, I end up going back and improving the fit or finish of what I thought I had just completed. Believe I'll add your pics to those of Z's bolt jobs and hole welding.

What a great site! Bill

Your cousin is a lucky dude.I think I'd go back to school for four years for a rifle like that.That's a fine looking gun and you done good.I especially like the fore-end work you done.Jerry

Thanks for all the positive feed back. It makes all the work seem worthwhile.

I showed the gun to my cousin over Christmas. He is really excided to shoot it and get his paws on it permanently. We are going to our hunting ranch on the 6 to put it through its paces. I will post the results. SS

• 2 weeks later...

Rang Report. I was able to get down to the ranch over the weekend. First couple of dozen shots out of the 220 Swift, 3400 fps, not bad to start. As for hitting the target Big problems! The gun was shooting over 5 feet low at 120 yards. (We shoot across our pound, that’s why the strange distance). After maxing the scope adjustment, we were with in 6 inches, but clearly something is wrong with the scope or mounts. I have not had a chance to look closely at it. I hope it is something like, I have two different ring heights or something to do with the bases. The scope is a Leopold gold ring so if it defective, I can always return it. Anyone every had a similar problem All the other guns I have build have always been right on the paper with their first shoots. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. SS

Get the Burris Signiture rings and put in a 20 MOA ring set in the front or rear. Problem solved. If the action is that far out of wack, hopfully it did not kink the scope. If it did, your Leopold warranty will be void. I have had this happen to me 3 times. Now I just buy the Burris rings and don't worry. They will take up any miss alignment.

I got a few hours in the shop today and started looking at the problem. It looks as if i just had the wrong mounts on the gun. They are Buehler rings mounts and some were I I though I was told the H2 were the same as 98s and the F's (H2, 98 and F are marked to tell what type). So I got out a new pair of F (for FN Mauser) and tool some measurement. It look as if they have the same characteristics, except that the rear mount on the H2 is .1 lower then the F. This would see to explain the situation, as the gun was shooting low. The scope appears to be fine. So I will be back to the range with weekend. Hopeful will better success.

Take Two.

I just go back for the range again. This time I am much happier. After another 5 rounds or so I got it to produce. Considering last week’s five feet low performance, three under the scope is nothing to be ashamed of. With the last three round I had on hand, i got two to touch and the third with in half inch. I think I can bring it in tighter with some work on the reloading bench and more favorable conditions. 14 degrees and the clothing required does not make optimal shooting conditions. Especially for a Cal. boy use to shooting in condition that make you dream of 14-degree weather. Anyways I am happy with its performance and esthetics. It will be delivered at the end of the month. On to my next project, takedown 98. SS

post-437-1168925185_thumb.jpg post-437-1168925204_thumb.jpg post-437-1168925225_thumb.jpg

I have to say this==Slseacrist- That is one sweet 220 Swift. You make my projects look like a 5th grader made them. My only consolation is that they are VERY functional. EXCELLANT work. I'ld be afraid to take that one out of the house. LOTS OF CONGRATS man. DAVE