Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Rust Bluing A Barreled Action

youngtrout

Okay,,,,,,,maybe this beating a dead horse but I'll ask.

I'm building a remchester and doing most of the work myself,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but ,,,,,,,right now I'm going to have my smith dial and finish the chamer (a bit different from the hand reams I've done in the past) And let him screw the tube down, mainly because lack of 700 tools

So here is my question, I had planed to rust blue the project but I've read that the barrel and receiver should be rust blued separately then mounted.

So would it be better to have a barreled action caustic blued or rust blued??????????

I'm looking for the cons of rust bluing a barreled action

Would rust bluing basically ruin the action because of rusting the barrel and action together, maybe not ruin but cause some serious issues later with another rebarrel.

Thanks for any feedback, just wanting to do the best job I can!!! And have more money in a 700 build than my last 2 mauser put together (thank you mauser gods!!)

thanks for your time!!!!

The downside that has been discussed in other threads (that I can't recall right now) is that the rust blueing solution will creep into the barrel/receiver joint and corrode that area. On a M700 you are talking about two joints because the recoil lug is like a washer sandwiched between the barrel shoulder and the receiver. But if there is a good crush fit in this area it is unlikely this would happen. I have regularly rust-blued military barreled receivers by sealing this joint with lacquer or ladies nail polish. Once the lacquer dries, just use a rag dampened w/lacquer thinner to wipe the excess away from around the joint you are sealing. Then apply the rusting solution and proceed. With caustic blueing there isn't a problem since the salts themselves dont cause rust and are rinsed away as part of the process.

Bob

Thanks bobvz!!!!

It one of those timing issues, you want the action unfinished so you can get that nice sand to metal finish but you need the barreled action done to bed the action,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,then the worry of marring the surface if you were to mess up barreling,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I think this one will get hot blued, just think its the safest!!!!

thanks for the feedback