Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Color Case Hardened

Racepres

Hey all. I'm still tinkering w/ a friends little 410 H&R. The thing is a bit neglected but I think after it gets some wood [easier said than done] I'm gonna rust blue the barrel. Now what abt the receiver? Is there a way to "restore" the colors of a color case hardened receiver?? or should I just try to polish it out and blue it as well?? All input appreciated. Thanks. MV

I believe that the finish is a flame coloring and not a true color case. My failing memory seems to tell me they coated the polished receiver with some sort of solution and then used an oxacetylene small tip to selectively heat the receiver and temper color the metal. If you polish the receiver and use a small torch tip I don't see why you couldn't create some interesting colors-even without a solution. You could also "grey" the receiver with an acid pickle(white vinegar works well) and that would create a nice contrast, alot like some over/unders you see. You could seal it with a thin coat of satin polyurethane(or satin clear Duracoat) to resist rust.

Well I may have some explaining to do!!! But what do you think?

Sorry bout the poor lighting, and photo, but, I hope you get the idea. Is this even close to satisfactory? Don't have anything to compare it to, but I can say that it looks alot nicer than when I started!!

IPB Image

Big deal!!! Or no. MV

Looks like you've got the technique down - that is playing the flame around in a random way to get a mottled effect. My recommendation based on the photo would be to remove all rust and pits to a smooth surface and then apply the torch. The rougher the surface the less pronounced the color will be.

Long story Ken, but the short version, of course it had been done at one time, so when I'm cleaning it up and polishing [lightly] I can see where it kinda used to be, so I stopped! After some experimentation, I got the receiver pretty hot from trying to play a fine [propane] torch flame to get some results, I spot a place by the T.G. with lots of wear, decide WTH and "dabbed" a bit of cheapo birchwood casey's cold blueing, on the spot. When I steel wooled it off, It looked so cool that I went ahead and did the whole rcvr that way!!! Just got it hot, and dabbed B.C. [which must have something in it that responds well to heat] then steel wooled [0000] when cool. Oiled immediately , and that is what ya see. How tough?? We'll see, or not, As this thing will probably sit more than it is used. The owner regards it as an heirloom! MV

Odd that you bring that up!!! Yes it is indeed pitted, tho in person it don't look nearly that bad!! Apparently I should have worked harder on the darn hammer!!! No prob. I can always redo it cause I think that a straight rust blue will look better there anyway huh? MV