Military Firearm Restoration Corner

1895 Chilean

GA1dad

First time posting here!

Here's the situation. I have aquired a butchered chilean in 7X57. The previous owner took off 6" of barrel and very crudely bent the bolt. And he took a 4" grinder to the stock, so it's crap. The only good about it is that all the numbers match. I have $40 in it as it sits. This will be my first time sporterizing anything, so I figure it's a good canidate. I have no plans of changing the caliber. If it shoots decent after I re-crown it, I will likely not remove the barrel. I will redo the bolt myself. It will need a trigger and will need to be drilled and tapped for a scope.

Is this considered a 95 Mauser?

Have any of you ever done one of these or know someone who has? Any pics?

If I wind up having to rebarrel, what do I get and where?

What trigger will I need?

Where can I get a Mannlicer style stock?

I know, it's a lot of questions, but I've got it bad!!! I haven't slept well for 2 days thinking about getting this started.

I will post a pic tomorrow.

My name is Jay, and I'd like to thank you all ahead of time for anything you can share!!!!

Welcome Jay: Just so you don't think that you are the only one! This is not mine.. But, It lives at my house. Note the bolt is actually bent forward!! What's up w/ that?? Been working the darn bolt over for awhile off and on.. someday I am just gonna hit it w/ a BFH and hope!! The darn thing really does shoot good, is why I keep it around. Tho we mostly shoot cast bulleted rounds in it.. sure is Capital F Funnnn ! Even w/ good ole military Trigger... slightly modified I think! You will learn to love your chilean surely, even if it's a bit ugly now.. Take the saying at the top of this page to heart.... Turning junk, into things of beauty.. Remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Have fun w/ it.

IPB Image

MV

Sounds like a M95. Richards Microfit has their Old Classic #102 stock in Mannlicher length 99% inlet for $100 in walnut. If you are on a budget you might be able to fit it into a M93 long rifle Turk Mauser stock and re-work it into a Mannlicher. You can pick these up off E-bay or off the Trader/For Sale/WTB sections of C&R Forums. Replacement sporter barrels and triggers can be had from Brownells, Numrich and many other sources. Caliber choices will be limited to 7x57, .257 Roberts, .300 Savage or 6.5x55 Swede.

Do note that the tang area of the M93 stock is a different inlet from the M95 chilean. But, to the good, the 93 stock would have to have material removed in order to fit a 95, Better than the ugly gap that exists if you put a 93 in a stock inlet for a 95!! MV

BTW if ya rebarrel [for some reason] the 300 savage is IMHO Way Cool!

GA1Dad,

If it's a 93 Mauser the bolt head bottom will be flat and if it's a 95 it's round with a gas port on the botton between the lugs and the receiver notched where the bolt turns down into it. It provides a little extra bit of safety. Both the 93 and 95 were typically cambered in 7x57.