Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Picked This Up Yesterday

GA1dad

If it feeds well, you have a nice sporter. Appears to be a nice piece of walnut, and the schnabel is executed well. The bolt handle work also appears very well done.

The only things I don't like are the white grip spacer and the forward sling attachment. The white spacer doesn't match the rest of the rifle and the forward sling stud will put downward pressure on the barrel if using the sling. Both issues are easily correctible.

Dad,I don't know what kinda horse you traded,but you got a nice looking rifle.The barrel looks like one of the Parker Hale's that were fairly abundant 5 years ago,and they are fine barrels from what I hear.That is a good piece of walnut too! .308 is my alltime favorite caliber.Good trade.Jerry

Well, I will proudly state that I had $50.00 in what I traded for it.

While the pictures make it look good, it does have some real issues. Up close, you see lots of flaws. Mainly, the stock I think came from another project and it has bondo (or similar) in many places. But it is a perfect cantidate for a camo job. Also, the floorplate has 4 bolts in it. I'll have to post a pic to explain, but somethings not right about it. I'm kinda afraid to open it up and look.

Like I said, I got it so I could get an idea of how a sporter would "feel" as a hunting rifle. I think I will like!!!

The four "bolts" may well be just good ole capture screws. As for the stock... Probably saveable, as it looks good. $0.02 MV

BTW I like my 308 Mauser very much..Lots more than $50.00 worth!! I'm jealous..

Racepres, here some pics of the four screws I was talking about. Sorry about the poor quality. Is this normal?

Also, I heard that this was a small ring Turk, can someone explain, maybe with pics of the differance between small and large ring? Don't mean to sound ignorant, but I'm new to mausers.

One last thing,,,,,,,,today. :rolleyes: This Turk has a sweet smooth bolt, The M95 Chilean that I have has a really strong spring that I have to compress when (cocking) closing the bolt. Is that strong spring something that I am just stuck with or can it be lightened. I had one of the old Kimbers on the Swede 96 (I think) and it had that strong spring too.

OK,,,,,nuff for tonight.

Thanks

post-1056-1168651197_thumb.jpg

post-1056-1168651208_thumb.jpg

Racepres, here some pics of the four screws I was talking about. Sorry about the poor quality. Is this normal?

Also, I heard that this was a small ring Turk, can someone explain, maybe with pics of the differance between small and large ring? Don't mean to sound ignorant, but I'm new to mausers.

One last thing,,,,,,,,today. :rolleyes: This Turk has a sweet smooth bolt, The M95 Chilean that I have has a really strong spring that I have to compress when (cocking) closing the bolt. Is that strong spring something that I am just stuck with or can it be lightened. I had one of the old Kimbers on the Swede 96 (I think) and it had that strong spring too.

OK,,,,,nuff for tonight.

Thanks

The four screws are normal for that guard. Some had locking screws. In fact, one of my custom guild guns has the locking screws still.

The hard to close bolt on your 96 is also normal, that's the nature of the beast on cock on close actions. Lighting the spring could lead to ignition problems.

If it's a Turk then it's a Larage ring mauser with small ring shank. Simply put, a standard 98 except that instead of being threaded for 1.100"x12 tpi barrels it is threaded to accept 0.980"x12 tpi barrels. The front ring on yours measures approx 1.400" while a true small ring will measure closer to 1.3"

Forgive me... I was away.. But Z took good care of ya [who woulda thought] I have actually come to like the cock on closing thing on some individual arms... There may be advantages, that I am unable to relate cause I don't really have the experience that some folks here have... I guess just different is sometimes good... even tho, on some other weapons, I like the "effortless" gliding of the bolt... Maybe a matter of intended use?? I don't know. Wish I had the ability to convey all that is swimmin' in the ole melon!! MV

Forgive me... I was away.. But Z took good care of ya [who woulda thought] I have actually come to like the cock on closing thing on some individual arms... There may be advantages, that I am unable to relate cause I don't really have the experience that some folks here have... I guess just different is sometimes good... even tho, on some other weapons, I like the "effortless" gliding of the bolt... Maybe a matter of intended use?? I don't know. Wish I had the ability to convey all that is swimmin' in the ole melon!! MV

If the gun shoots good it's REAL easy to get used to COC. Like the Husky M46's.

Yeah, I too suffer from lack of conveyence ability, at least in written form. Bilurey on the other hand is a poet and has a real gift for writing technical descriptions thayt are both clear & concise and fun to read. Half the time I come accross sounding like I don't know what I'm talking about, the other half, I sound like I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. :lol:

Well, I will proudly state that I had $50.00 in what I traded for it.

While the pictures make it look good, it does have some real issues. Up close, you see lots of flaws. Mainly, the stock I think came from another project and it has bondo (or similar) in many places. But it is a perfect cantidate for a camo job. Also, the floorplate has 4 bolts in it. I'll have to post a pic to explain, but somethings not right about it. I'm kinda afraid to open it up and look.

Like I said, I got it so I could get an idea of how a sporter would "feel" as a hunting rifle. I think I will like!!!

$50 is a smokin deal..