Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Old School Sporter

skeeter2859

I thought I would share a few pics of one of my dad’s guns. I stole it from his gun cabinet to redo it for his birthday. The gun was my great grandfathers. The stock was cut from a crotch of walnut from his farm. My father did the work in the mid to late 50’s.

Details: Winchester Low-wall

20” Ackley barrel in .17 Ackley Bee

20 grain lead 3,800 fps

The cartridge in the pic hasn’t been fire formed yet. That’s why the shoulder looks funny.

I love this little gun. There was a roof leak and this poor gun was covered in mold. There are a couple more coats of oil and the stock is done. Does anyone know where I could get the case coloring redone? It is beyond what I want to try.

Note no snow and green grass in Pa.

th_lw6bb.jpg

th_lw5b.jpg

th_lw4b.jpg

th_lw3b.jpg

th_lw7b.jpg

WOW!

Skeeter, that is a beautiful thing in every sense!

The chambering was rare even when it was new.

The wood looks great. If it were mine I'd leave the metal alone. If I'd decided I had to have it refinished I'd look long and hard, for a long-long time (can I see several examples of your work, and have the telephone numbers of those you did it for) before I'd give it to someone to reharden.

We're enjoying global warming down here in East Carolina too. I just hope we don't pay for it this summer.

Thanks Doble,

I think it was chambered in .30 cal. The firing pin & hole was made smaller and the extractor lengthened. I still would like to have the metal done. It can’t be put back to original condition, but has much family value. It will take some hard looking before I let someone work on it.

Skeeter, NCShooter is right, Doug Turnbull is the absolute best there is at firearms restoration/color casehardening. His reputation is beyond reproach. And with him being only 2 hours away, you won't have to trust that beautiful rifle to any of the various shipping morons out there! he probably has a waiting list though. good luck, Steve