Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Chambers, long or short?

TLynn

30 06va

(6/9/05 14:14)

Reply Chambers, long or short?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When rebarreling do you prefer long chambered and use a lathe or short chambered and use a reamer(with or without a lathe) Thanks

z1r

(6/9/05 14:23)

Reply Re: Chambers, long or short?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I'm gonna use a prechambered blank I prefer them long chambered. 2 reason: One, I don't haave to rent or buy a reamer. Two, no worries about whether both reamers are cut to the same specs. It is possible when finish reaming that the reamer you are using could be undersized or vary in other ways from the reamer used to cut short chamber.

Obviously, long chambered is only good if you have access to a lathe, if not you have no real choice but to use a short chambered blank.

claytonfaulkner

(6/9/05 15:53)

i thought you have to use a lathe either way? what other way is there?

z1r

(6/9/05 16:05)

It is prefered and if properly set up you get better accuracy/ concentricity using a lathe but you can indeed finish ream a short chambered barrel by hand. That is primarily why they are sold short chambered. That's how Midways sells a ton of their barrels, they sell em to the do-it-yerselfer that has no lathe and hand reams it.

If you have a lathe and a reamer, why would you not buy a less expensive blank and thread & chamber yourself? You would not pay the premium that short chambered barrels command.

If I don't have a reamer and don't want to buy one, I will order a long chambered barrel. If you are only building one of the caliber, you save $ by not renting/buying the reamer.

Edited by: z1r at: 6/9/05 16:07

Jimro

(6/10/05 16:18)

I'll toss another vote for long chambered. Using a dial caliper and a guage set you can calculate how much needs to be taken off and have it done in one shot. Just remember, measure twice cut once.

Jimro

30 06va

(6/10/05 20:34)

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll give long chambered a shot

this time around with my southbend.

fmsniper

(6/11/05 22:41)

Re: Chambers, long or short?

Tell you guys, I have had no choice but to use Short chambered and it works fine but I have full intentions of getting a larger lathe when I get back to the USA, so I can get Long chambered barrels or chamber it my self.

I had 2 bad dealings with short chambered were as one I scored the chamber pretty bad and the other I went to deep and had no lathe to fix it until I found one Base, any way I need a good lathe to handle a 1 inch shank, of course when I get back to the USA...

speared um

(6/13/05 14:33)

I'm using a Gunsmith, so does it matter? Or, will the smith provide the barrel?

I'm new

Dante'

z1r

(6/13/05 15:03)

If you are using a smith let him tell you what bbl & method he wants & see if that is ok with you. I for one would not want the cutomer to supply a short chambered bbl. Now, if he already had it we'd have to pow-wow.

It is often preferable to let the smith get the bbl.. He usually gets a discount & even with a small markup can pass this savings on to you. They need to eat too.

Doble Troble

(6/13/05 18:28)

Re: Chambers, long or short?

Quote:

They need to eat too.

And we should try our best to feed the good ones as often the opportunity presents.

I am Bubba (but learning)