Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Parker Hale Barrel Problem

Sailormilan2

I have built 2 Yugos with those heavy Parker Hale target barrels that Numrich and Sarco were selling. They reportedly have tight bores, because of this, the Reamer Co-Op has one with a ground down pilot.

I have been having a few issues with feeding, in that it seems to hang up about the last 1/2" or so of case travel going into the chamber. I have also been having pressure problems during firing. I always seemed to get flattened, cratered primers, and a few blown ones. This is with a powder charge reduced by 10%, or better.

So today, I was going to give it another shot. I had loaded some 147 gr FMJ bullets for sighting in, and then some 168 gr. Hornady A-Max for serious work. The Hornadys seemed to be much stiffer going into the chamber. I have felt that they are slightly larger in diameter than the FMJs.

I stripped the bolt, and put my pull through reamer in the chamber, and the bolt would not close on it. Now, I did not chamber this barrel with this reamer. I think I used the one from the co-op...................................I think.

I put some cutting oil on the reamer, put the bolt in position, and started cutting. With the Pull Through, you have the bolt weight that provides the pressure on the reamer during cutting. When the bolt drops into position, you are done.

When the bolt handle dropped, I stopped cutting, and removed the reamer. I checked the headspace, and it did not increase. However, it feeds really nice right now. I think it had a tight neck. I realize that this is/was a target barrel. but I wanted feeding reliability.

It looks like I got it. Maybe I won't get the pressure problems now. Off to the range on Friday to find out.

post-13-1168980701_thumb.jpg

Your sizing die may have been expanding the necks too much for the chamber too. If you haven't reamed the second barrel yet a test would be to resize without the expander in place (you can swap a smaller cartridge expander - 243 would be the same length if you have it).

Did you have any neck bulging after seating bullets?

Another potential problem (but it doesn't sound like this was happening in your case) is a short chamber neck. This could cause pressure spikes, but would be evident by hard bolt closing, not chambering.

Those darn reloading dies - especially when you have NATO vs SAAMI variances!

Those benchrest guys like the tight necks though.

"Those benchrest guys like the tight necks though."

I think they spend a lot of time turning case necks though.

Has anyone "slugged" one of these barrels? Are just the chambers tight or the whole tube?