Military Firearm Restoration Corner

8 mm Steyr AI - more progess

If you guy are like me, you won't get tired of seeing multiple pictures of the same rifle. It's rust blued and checkered now. The cartridges shown are a fire-formed 8-376 Steyr AI and a military 8 x 57 for comparison. The close-up is of formerly VERY pitted bottom metal from a 24/47. I show this as an example of the rust bluing - not of excellent craftsmanship (which it is not). If I thought the bluing would have worked this well I would have been more careful about finishing the metal. The checkering is a big improvement over my first effort (I know, hard to believe from seeing it, but true!). These M48 teak stocks are soft and hard to work with - in some places I thought it was like trying to checker a sponge dry.gif . All-in-all a good experience. The fire-forming loads grouped within 3 " at 100 yd, with most of the 20 chewing a large hole in the target. It's bedded now and so I'm hoping that with formed cases all of the bullets will be going to close to the same place- we'll see...

user posted image