Military Firearm Restoration Corner

COL for 6.5x55

flaco

I'm hoping to shoot Project #2, the 6.5x55, this weekend, and putting together some loads.

I know a couple of the guys--Jason, Rhys--have built 6.5s using the Lothar Walther barrel, and wonder if they have any suggestions for COL for the Sierra 140 gr. HPBT.

Thanks,

flaco

N.B. I replaced the extractor for this project today. It was my second extractor replacement, and... much easier that the first. Which had me stymied for about half an hour. Even though I was working with a friend with much stronger hands than I.

I hate playing with these extractors so much it's a little bit of a landmark to replace it.

BTW, as far as I can tell, the secret is to start the extractor onto the ring in the area of the bolt in which there is no extractor groove. Once you have it on, twist it, until it falls into the groove. Took about three minutes this time.

Flaco,

Seat a bullet out long in an uncharged case, maybe 0.100, just enough to get a good hold on it. Chamber the case and bullet. The lands will push the bullet into the case and define max OAL for that bullet. Extract and measure the OAL. I usually start loading at 0.005" less than this value.

Potential pitfall: If the bullet stays in the barrel tap it out with a cleaning rod and start again, but seat it 0.200 this time. Repeat deeper if necessary.

For getting the extractor back on easily, align the collar tang with the bolt rib, hold it facing you, and gently clamp the collar in a viseuntil the sides of the tang close. Then install the extractor by pushing it home with your thumb.

Enjoy your new rifle! Make sure to post target pix.

Another way to do the OAL is to close the bolt and insert a cleaning rod in the barrel to the bolt face. Carefully mark or tape the rod at the edge of the muzzle. Open the bolt and insert your unloaded cartridge with the bullet out so it definitely contacts the lands squarely. Re-insert the cleaning rod in the barrel and mark/tape the rod again when you touch the bullet tip. The difference in marks/tape on the rod is the OAL.

Sometime I use both methods to cross check.

Flaco,

I've been told by a local psychic that my 6.5 may actually be done...but that has not yet been confirmed. I hope when I call my 'smith tomorrow, he'll say "Yeah, its ready. Come get it." Hopefully...

And to prepare for that scenario, I loaded up some dummy rounds last weekend to test my barreled action in case of any feeding issues. I used 140 grn Sierra Gamekings.

user posted image

I set them to the max COL with the Sierra manual specifies as 3.150". The A-Square manual concours this.

user posted image

I have no loads for you using this bullet 'cause I have yet to have a finished product in hand. That will soon take care of itself and then I'll be up to my eyeballs in yet another stock project. I'll keep informed of my progress as perhaps it may help you.

Jason

Post Script: I have found the $25 Brownell's extractor pliers to be very helpful and well worth what I paid for them. Some guys are good at removing and replacing extractors with their fingers; I'm not one of them. These pliers took the work out of bolt work for me. Just some food for thought.

PSS: I am also still playing with my new digital camera and thought I'd post some pics...

Thanks, guys-

I've already loaded 50 rounds, using N150 and IMR 4064.

I've been pleased with the N150--so far, I only have these two powders--in the 7x57, but Lapua is the only one to list a load for the 140gr Match KIng. My other handbook goes from N140 for lighter bullets, directly to N160.

The 4064 seems like a great all around powder, so I might get lucky with that, too.

Jason, look how long those bullets are. I think this weight is wonderful for 6.5x55.

flaco

Guest Guest_z1r_*

You will likely be limited my magazoine length more than the bullet hitting the lands. the leade is very long as it was designed for the 160 gn roundnose. I have the same issue on my 8x68. I can seat the bullet to an OAL of 3.85 inches and still not hit the land. But, the magazine limits the COAL to 3.425".

Guest MorgansBoss

I've always seated 140 and longer bullets to what ever was advised in the load manual I'm using at the time. The 87 & 90's I prefer for varmints present a problem though. Over time I've settled on a minimum COL of 2.80" for these light bullets and get sub-MOA accuracy with boring regularity.