Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Staining Birch Stocks

FC

FC Have you ever used an air brush with stain to do a stock? I think you could do great overlays and feathering with it. I have an oilless compressor with the airbrush guns This type doesn't produce moisture to ruin the stock. What do you think about this idea? Dave

I've never heard of spraying stain. You could try!

A sanding sealer would be a good idea on those stocks too.

YI think it would work great for a laminated stock as I have 2 of them, the feathering should really cool! Dave

• 10 months later...

Although this thread is rather dated, I would add that many Mosin stocks are beech, rather than birch. I first apply something like Minwax Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner (to virtually all types of wood), and then stain with Chestnut Ridge Military Stock Stain. Once that's dry, I prepare a small amount of whatever oil finish I'm using and add a few drops of Pilkington's Spirit Stains (red). My Mosin stocks don't look 'original', complete with brush strokes and runny shellac, but they look might fine. Even if I say so myself!