Military Firearm Restoration Corner

My Free Swede(long Story)

scott63

Here’s the story on this rifle: I was talking to a coworker about hunting and guns when he asked me if I had ever heard of the 6.5X55 cartridge. I told him that I owned two Swedish mausers that are chambered for that same cartridge and that I reload the ammo. He then told me that he has a rifle in that caliber that I can have.

He tells me that several years ago he had a swede mauser rebarreled with a Hart 18.5 inch barrel for his girlfriend for a deer rifle. They broke up and he never finished the rifle, so I could have it.

It was drilled and tapped, headspaced, and the bolt had been re-welded but not finished, and it was in a cut down junker stock.

I finished the file work on the bolt and prefer a straighter bolt, but couldn’t do much about the sweep since that was done. I narrowed the trigger guard, draw filed the guard metal to clean it up and installed a low safety. I bought a semi finished stock and inletted it and glass bedded it. Finish is with an oil finish topped off with lin-speed.

I don’t have the bolt stop in, I’m doing something a little different with that and will show that in a week or so.

I was expecting 2 inch groups with this gun and was very happy to get honest 1-1.25 inch groups with nosler 140 gr. partitions at about 2500 fps. At first I just painted the barrel to protect it and took two nice mule deer with it. At any range under 300 yards I am very confident of this rifle/cartridge abilities.

After owning this rifle for several years I finally decided to bead blast and re-blue this rifle and did just that the other day with oxynate 7. This and another rifle (not yet reassembled) was my first attempt at the caustic salt bluing method. I honestly doubt if I will try this again, it just isn’t worth the trouble. I will probably try another method next, but this method is really a pain unless you were doing this full time with numerous rifles at a time. Don’t get me wrong, this was a great learning experience, just now that I’ve done it I’m ready to try other methods.

No, unfortunately, my coworker has no more guns he wants to give away!

post-472-1170468673_thumb.jpg

post-472-1170468700_thumb.jpg

post-472-1170468724_thumb.jpg

post-472-1170468741_thumb.jpg

post-472-1170468754_thumb.jpg

And about how much money do you reckon you have in that "Free" Swede now?

Nice work!

Clemson

About 20 bucks for the safety, and when I bought the stock I believe it was 80.00. The bluing process took 5 years off my life, so that was the expensive part. :rolleyes: Salts and tanks were a gift from a friend who upgraded.

i REALLY like how sharp you kept all the lines on the gun! fantastic! the metal looks pristine! and for FREE?! we all hate you.

:P

Thank you for the compliments, the metal came out pretty good for a newbie with files. I am looking forward to getting better. Every step was a learning process and I think sucessive projects will get better. I have a twede that I blued all the small metal, had to have the barreled action blued by a friend cause my tanks were 1/4 inch too short! Believe me, there was no small amount of cussin going on when that problem materialized. That project will be posted next, probably be at least a week. There were several lessons learned on that project too.......Scott