Military Firearm Restoration Corner

What type Turk

TLynn

IZH27

(6/11/05 20:18)

Reply What type Turk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted this on another site. Thought I'd ask here also.

Hello All,

{Went into a local pawn shop today and spied two Turks sitting back in the corner. One is plainly marked K Kale. The other is one that I've never seen and assume it to be a scrubbed Nazi K98.

The second rifle is marked 1954 below a stamped seal that has been "likely" (it's hard to tell what the symbol is/was) altered. On the side of the action by the charging thumb slot it is stamped 98 followed by the letters T h.

Any ideas on the second one? Is it likely a K98 German?}

If anyone can help ID this it's appreciated. I'm looking for some good ones to set back for future projects. As these are non-matching I'm gonna try to work on getting the pair.

Steve

fritz

The Gentleman Farmer

(6/11/05 21:04)

Reply Re: What type Turk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, about one in fifty of these showed up. It's a 1954 dated rework of a Gew 98, where they cut back the receiver ring threads to make it fit their criterior. It is about one or two threads short of the more common K Kale. Some claim it to be unsafe because of this, but since I am not planning to rechamber one of these to a more powerful round, I don't care.

fritz

"It seems like yesterday, but it was long ago---we were young and strong and running against the wind"

mauserbuff

(6/11/05 21:10)

Reply ATF re-work

Fritz is right. It also has the large ring barrel threads (1.10") and not the small ring (.980") like the K.Kale.

IZH27

(6/12/05 18:32)

Reply Re: ATF re-work

I've read about the possible safety issues. Some have said that it is likely a WWI 98. Will metallurgy be an issue in 98's made between the wars?

From what I've read it would seem that German metal is considered top notch. I would then assume that this action would be a good candidate for a sporterization project. Would it be better than the K Kale other than that it is Large thread/large ring?

What have you guys seen with buildability of these reworks? Thumbs up? Down?

I'm kinda leaning toward tossing out a price for both then setting them back for the future for projects.

Steve

Clemsongunsmith

(6/12/05 19:42)

The potential safety problem, as I understand it, with these reworks is that the Turks cut a recess in the front ring for the handguard, and that left the barrel being held by about three threads.

Clemson

US Army Veteran

NRA Life Member

NRA Certified Instructor

CWP Holder

Garand Collectors'Association

mod70

(6/12/05 20:24)

ezSupporter

Re: ATF re-work

I think there are about 4.5 threads left. Kuhnhausen says you need 6.

carzngunz

(6/12/05 21:07)

I will throw in my opinion. If you have 4 1/2 threads in the receiver and you can mate 4 1/2 threads on the barrel I wouldn't worry too much. There are a lot of mausers out there with the same or maybe less thread engagement. Just make sure that your barrel doesn't have a large relief cut behind the threads so that you get all of your 4 1/2 threads engaged. Remember this is just my opinion but you will be the one behind the trigger.

z1r

(6/12/05 21:42)

They are most likely safe but ponder this: What will the front rinng ook like once you remove the lip? it will be awfully shot and will leave a gap in just about every semi inlet stock. Sure, if you are real good you can cut a barrel that looks like it is butting up against the ring. Just don't count on using a short chambered barrel.

IZH27

(6/13/05 19:22)

Hadn't even thought about the metal to wood fit!

I think I'll pass on these and look for a VZ 24. I've had the success there anyway.

Thanks for all the feedback. My education continues.

Steve

z1r

(6/13/05 20:25)

Man, I type bad. Glad you could decipher that last post, lol.

It is hard to go wrong with a vz action.