Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Help With My Stock

hodgie

i need some advice. this is my first full off re-everything. i got very careless with my walnut stock. when i was opening my stock for the bolt, i got my greasy paw prints all over it. im looking for the best way to clean it up. not finger prints, greasy smudges. its not junk is it? very much a newbie mistake, i know. help me please!!

"Ron tell them the truth he uses embalming fluid "

If that works, I better see my mortician before it is too late (for me). I am not worried about the stocks being smudged, because there are many ways to clean them before the final finish.

Embalming fluid, eh?

fritz

Laundry bleach cut in half with water.Wet a rag with it and lay it on the spots a few minutes.The wood will turn pale looking,but it will draw the grease out and sand back like the surrounding wood very easily.Jerry

Hmm, I've had inletting black all over my stocks and never bothered using any type of cleaning solution ont hem. I just finish sand it and apply finish then wet sand. Maybe because I tend to leave my stocks a little over size until the inletting is done then I sand to get the proper wood to metal fit.

I use mineral spirits. The acetone should work well too. You want to use an organic solvent to really get the grease - not saying that the other suggestions are bad - but like dissolves like.

Well really not to be a ahole but if you mess with outside of stock before you have bedded or glassed and cut in your bolt notch then smack yourself with a horse twitch on the butt. You should work on outside of stock last so you can sand off the nasties that may end up on it from eating those greasy wings and other bubba foods. Start with getting all metal work set and then contour and sand to your preference and go on to your finish.

For me lacquer thinner rules the cleaning world. Will take about anything unwanted off and won't bother the wood. Far more aggressive than acetone and doesn't bother anything anymore than acetone.

That said, TW is right; do all that messy stuff on inletting first, then take care of the exterior.

BradD

i have yet to glass bed the bbl or action. otherwise all inleting and stock work is done. i wanted to clean the stock up before i went to much farther. i am NOT a woodworker, never have been very good at it. so i go very slow and hope for the best. sad i know. but im trying. i wanted to make sure the stock isnt wrecked before i bed the metal. i used acetone, and rubbing alcohol in small places to c which worked better. it seems like a toss up. i didnt have any mineral spirits. i hope to finish with the acetone tonight. i was @ structure fire late last night, so i accomplished very little. hopefully tonight.

once again, i really appreciate all your help and opinions. having an asset like this is fantastic.

Sounds to me like you might be anxious to see how the wood will look stained and finished. To get a preview, get it wet, it wont hurt it. The water highlights the grain and gives the wood some color. Don't get tempted to use any furniture polish or wax, it could make it difficult for the stain or finish to penetrate.

Good to see you posting, Brad-

Welcome back.

Oxalic acid is a common ingredient in commercial "wood bleach". Check the ingredients on the products at your store.

I lifted the idea from Duane Wiebe, a Guild member and inspired custom rifle builder, who lifted the idea from the old British "Best Gun" builders.

The oxalic acid I have is in crystal form, and I dilute it more than the label suggests. I'm wary of leaving any product in the wood that might cause the wood to deteriorate.

flaco