Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Internet Access

FC

I gave up my DSL and now just hook up through one of four wireless lines available in my neighborhood that are unsecured. I also gave up the hard-wired phone for just the cell phones. This saves me $108 per month.

My son hooked up to the net the same way for several months before it was closed. Wouldn't work in my neighborhood. I'm still afraid to give up the hard wired land line fearing a possible natural disaster or another 9-11 situation. Cell phones from what I heard were unreliable and the system overloaded on the entire eastern seaboard for several days after 9-11.

In all the years I've only had two problems with the land line phone lines that disrupted service. Both were employee error. One time had my service pulled on a three day holiday weekend. Mine was mistakenly pulled when another number one digit off from mine should have been pulled for non payment. Another mis-hap a lineman (likely a rookie) wired up several homes into a party line, no calls could go in or out but we could talk to our neighbors.

Another downside to cell phones is the ability for somebody to monitor your cell phone calls with a radio scanner. Sure it is illegal and scanner manufacures can no longer build receivers for the cell phone frequencies but there are probably thousands of scanners still out there. About 10 years ago my son had a scanner and listened to cell calls and portable land line phones. About that same time one of my neighbors was caught having an affair after her husband bought a used Radio Shack police scanner at a yard sale. From what I've been told and can't say for certain. Modern cell phone technology only defeats one side of the conversation on the old radio scanners.

hey AZ, I have some midland gmrs 2 ways and at times can pick up cells know what ya mean. by the way hope i'm not of topic but i have family in phoenix./ dave