Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Lightweight Rifle Question

scott63

Has anyone tried the feather weight Douglas or Shilen barrels? How about the Bell and Carlson Stocks? I'm sure the H.S. Precision stocks are good, but 350-500 is a bit steep. Any other ideas on making thngs lighter? Thanks for any ideas...Scott

This rifle only weighs 7 1/4 lbs scoped. 3006crop.jpg

It sports a 25" Shilen #1 and a light weight walnut stock. The key is the stock. Keep it trim and thin like the Germans did.

Z1r, I really like the schnable forearm on that stock. Is that all you or was it machined that way? Is there anything that can SAFELY be done to lighten the receiver? I've seen holes drilled in the magazine side walls, not sure how much that takes off, but every little bit counts.

How do you like the barrel? Is it really that much better than the E.R. Shaw or Remington take-off? Money wise I think they are about the same but the Shilen is unchambered/threaded. If it is worth the extra cost I'll buy one of those next time I am barrel shopping.

Anybody use a synthetic stock they like? My only experience has been with Ramline(cheapo but it worked) and another that was not named, but I suspect is a Bell and Carlson.

Thanks for the pic Z........................Scott

Anybody use a synthetic stock they like?

Scott, if you are looking for a drop-in stock, I have no advice. If you are willing to fit a stock, however, the MPI is a very well-made and lightweight option for you. I have one for a large ring that I think I will put on my next project. I also fit one to an FN action a couple of years ago. It is far nicer than most cheapo synthetics, priced between the McMillan and the Bell & Carlson.

Clemson

"Anybody use a synthetic stock they like? My only experience has been with Ramline(cheapo but it worked) and another that was not named, but I suspect is a Bell and Carlson."

I have used several brands of synthetic stocks, and I agree that the Ramline cheapo is the worst of them. The best one I have used, (and I have not used all of the brands out there) is a Bell and Carlson camo stock for the Mauser '98. I have it on a .243 that I built years ago, and I got it on sale from the big distributors. Those days are long gone.

I have a Brown Precision on a Winchester .223 Featherweight, but bought it that way. It seems sturdy and light. The Bell & Carlson is rather heavy, but it is on a varmint rifle so I don't mind. You can go light, sometimes too light. And synthetic stocks are not for everyone.

You can get a good walnut stock for the price of a B&C synthetic, but sometimes I want to make a lighter rifle. The lightest, besides the cheapo Ramline, is the Corelite from Midway. A step up from the Ramline, but still "You get what you pay for"..

fritz

Scott,

I've never used a Shilen barrel but I do know a little about stocks.

Bell & Carson's Carbelite is a very good stock, almost indestructible. It is NOT a lightweight.

If you want a quality light weight stock go with a Brown Precision or Macmillan.

Lone Wolf probably makes the best ultra-light stocks available http://www.lonewolfriflestocks.com/

Another excellent ultra-light is available from Brownells-

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/pro...941&s=17744

If possible try to avoid Corelite and Ramline, I’ve had both and they are crap.

I have a Corelite that I’ve tried to give away for postage only- no takers.

Kenny

Clemson, thanks for the info, I looked up MPI's site and they have some nice stocks. Time to start saving my pennies. ;) I've done a couple of semi-inletted wood stocks, was the stock you did for the FN any more difficult?.......Scott

Scott,

The MPI that I put on the FN was no more work in total than doing a semi-inlet. You must fit the action into the stock, cutting away the foam filler that the glass is laid up on, and glass bedding the whole action. I used Acraglas gel. As I recall, there was an inlet already cut for a sliding side safety, which I filled in with Acraglas also. I bedded the full length of the barrel channel, wrapping the barrel with Brownells inletting tape, which looks like thick electrical tape. That left me with a floating barrel. I had to install swivel studs and glue on a buttplate, for which I used a Pachmayr rubber rifle butt plate, then ground the pad to fit. I first painted the stock with wrinkle paint, but I was not happy with the look, so I covered it with camo tape. The finished product is an MOA rifle in a very light, stiff stock. The foam filler keeps the thing from sounding like a bongo drum in the deer stand.

Short of a McMillan or Brown Precision, which come with more of the work done on them already, I don't think you can beat it. The MPI makes up into a finished stock that rivals either one of the others.

Clemson

Ask pointed out by zr1, pretty much the lightest weigtht stock you can find is a nice claro walnut stock, trimmed down, I have a few 24 ounce stocks,and one maple @ lighter than I want to post,,,,,plastic just puts you into weather proof,,,,not lighter,,,,,,,look at brownells numbers,,,you need to step up to a 300 dollar plastic stock to find weight savings, I've looked!!!

I too have been thinking about building an ultra light right on a Mauser receiver.

The question that I have is much can the barrel be turned down and still be considered safe.

I have seen some old Mauser military barrels that were fairly small in the chamber area and they were 8mm.

:rolleyes: hey scott, i bought a corelite/barrel combo for my 243 form midway about 5 yrs ago. only work i had to do was for the bolt drop, came with recoil pad and Q.D. sling mounts. works realy good for the price. Dave

Yes, there is a bunch of weight saving useing a Choate stock.They are the lightest of all the synthetic stocks.I have 2,and the only gripe I have is the plastic trigger guard.I've been thinking of making an aluminum guard for mine.I wish Choate had a camo pattern.If you ever tote a rifle up and down a mountain all day,you'll love a Choate.Jerry

Jerry,

Years ago Century had a monthly sale on u-fix-em Mauser stocks--4 fer $100. I took a chance and ordered some. They were Choate stocks that had been rejected with a slight flaw. One of them had no trigger guard, and I fashioned one from a Mauser bottom metal. It worked great, after being blasted and coated with Brownell's Bake-On lacguer, it looked like it belonged on that synthetic stock.

I still have one left, with plans to put a Turk Mauser receiver in it. $25 stocks are a thing of the past.

fritz