Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Stupid question

TLynn

farktoof

(6/14/05 19:15)

Reply Stupid question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the smallest lathe you can use to rebarrel - chamber etc?

I know little about the workings of a lathe but want to learn.Do you need a certain minimum length table, min. size chuck etc?

I'm thinking of taking some courses but want to know some basics.

Go easy on me now.

z1r

(6/14/05 19:54)

Reply Re: Stupid question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you chamber & thread through the spindle then you need one with a arge enough hole in the spindle to fit the largest barrel you plan on working with. If you plan on threading between centers & chambering in a steady, you need a bed with a long enough distance between centers to fit the barrel you intend to chamber plus enough room for a reamer.

If using the headstock method you can generally get by with a smaller lathe. One with a shorter bed however, you cannot always contour a barrel on a short lathe.

Speaking in roundabout terms an 11"x36" or 12x36" is about what I'd consider minimum. the old South Bend Heavy ten would also be acceptible.

Size is dictated by what you want to do.

farktoof

(6/14/05 20:01)

Reply Re: Stupid question

Thank you.