Military Firearm Restoration Corner

M48 stock

spec4 e4

The BEST way to deal with this issue is a full glass-bedding job. Then the action (and the barrel connected to it) cannot move around in the stock...and can't make contact with one side or the other (if the bedding job is done properly). The inletting in M48 stocks is often oversize...and does not fit the actions well. Another, more temporary solution is to use shims to shift the action a bit in the stock...and relieve the barrel contact. A third option is to remove wood in the barrel channel - but I do NOT recommend this. Try first to see if you can add a shim of some suitable material, on one side of the magazine box (between the magazine and the stock)...to see if this will solve the problem. If the stock is inletted TOO much oversize....then glass-bedding may be the only solution.

Spec4,

I've got an old Richards stock that is inletted for the M48. It started life as an M96 stock. I never completed it becuase I got a Boyds JRS laminate instead. This one has a rosewood tip and recoil pad, I think. It's yours if you want it. It's better than a military stock. I seem to remember that, like other Richards stocks, the inletting was generous. But, it is a decent sporter stock and I'm sur eyou could make something out of it. It's yours for the shipping if you want it. The recoil pad alone is worth that, lol. I'll check tomorrow to be sure it really has a recoil pad still attached.

thanks z1r, but I going to put it on the back burner for an while so I can get the other done. I have an M48 still working one that I show you and two more m48 with Ph barrel, an m14 and an M1 garand rework.

Thanks again for the offer.

spec.4