Military Firearm Restoration Corner

"old Bones"

ken98k

I posted some pics of this one while in the works last winter.

Well it finally warmed up enough today so I could blue it without

my garage door freezing shut. Here it is, 7MM Chilean Mauser 95 I named "old Bones".

Re-contoured Barrel and trigger guard, recessed muzzle, Buehler safety, new bolt handle. Jeweled bolt, extractor, and ejector spring.

Custom caribou butt plate and grip cap. I inlayed a piece of polished brass into the bottom of the grip.

The stock was a "wood plus" from Brownells that I removed a couple pounds of wood from the fore end and finished with Formby's tung oil.

Hot water blued with Belgian Blue. It's going to get a Lyman Alaskan scope after I get the bases.

To go along with it I cleaned up an old Western skinning knife I found.

The original leather handle had rotted away so I replaced it with

some of the same caribou antler I used on the rifle.

post-200-1175400220_thumb.jpgpost-200-1175400662_thumb.jpg

post-200-1175400744_thumb.jpgpost-200-1175400814_thumb.jpg

post-200-1175400888_thumb.jpgpost-200-1175400977_thumb.jpg

post-200-1175401161_thumb.jpg post-200-1175401228_thumb.jpg

post-200-1175401338_thumb.jpgpost-200-1175401567_thumb.jpg

post-200-1175403178_thumb.jpg

Nice job, I'm just getting a DWM 93 spanish ready for blueing. I hope mine turns out that nice, I'm going to try Pilkingtons Rust Blue I've used Brownells Dicropan IM on past projects but the barrels always got some streaking. That stock looks great. I must say it has more figure than I'd expect based on pictures in catalogs of their stocks and the inletting looks good as well. Did you have any problems? I haven't ordered a stock yet I want to see how it shoots first. I was considering an Old Classic Mannlicher from Richards but that will get quiet pricey. Past experience with Boyd's inletting rules them out. What you've shown me gives me more options. THANKS and again very nice work. GUY

Kenny,

Nice job!

Is the cocking peice shorter on the brazillian or is that custom touch? Looks nice.

LC

The cocking piece came from an extra bolt I had on hand because I screwed up the original one while adjusting it for the safety.

""Nice job, I'm just getting a DWM 93 spanish ready for blueing. I hope mine turns out that nice, I'm going to try Pilkingtons Rust Blue I've used Brownells Dicropan IM on past projects but the barrels always got some streaking. That stock looks great. I must say it has more figure than I'd expect based on pictures in catalogs of their stocks and the inletting looks good as well. Did you have any problems? I haven't ordered a stock yet I want to see how it shoots first. I was considering an Old Classic Mannlicher from Richards but that will get quiet pricey. Past experience with Boyd's inletting rules them out. What you've shown me gives me more options.""

THANKS and again very nice work. GUY

The biggest problem I had besides waiting for the weather to break was fitting hunks of bone to the stock. There were also minor technical problems to solve such as tappering the militery barrel and the cocking piece I mentioned above. That was one of my first lathe projects and I really didn't know what I was doing.

This is my fourth sporterizing project so I'm learning all the time. I think I've come light years ahead since I joined this

"club" (forum) 3 or 4 years ago.

I still need to mount the sling swivels but I was so excited about

the warm weather yesterday I couldn't resist blueing and getting it together.

Kenny