Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Silver Soldered On Turk Threads On Small Shanked Barrel

Clark

I cut down the small shank of the Douglas 1 in 16" trist barrel to fit inside the bored out Turk stub.

Then I Silver Soldered them together.

The idea is to make a .223 that shoots 35 gr bullets at 3600 fps with 15 gr Blue Dot and hit ground squirrels out to 180 yards.

post-40-1175406930_thumb.jpg

I have bought a Mauser extractor blank from Brownells and fitted it and cut it down to .223.

I am not doing that anymore.

It is too much trouble to fit around the extractor collar.

I have taken the stock Mauser extractor off and had more material TIG welded on.

Then I cut it down to .223.

I will do that again this time.

The bolt face also needs some material trimmed off the rim so that the extra extractor material can spin around.

I have not been bushing the firing pin hole to convert from large primer to small primer.

The Mauser firing pin works just fine on small rifle primer to way past the SAAMI max average pressure for .223.

Some material can be take off the end of the extractor so that the breech can be made longer to give more case support.

The extractor also needs to get the chisel type bevel on the end, unless you have figured out how to make it controlled feed.

post-40-1175445981_thumb.jpg

The .223 web is ~.175" thick compared to Mauser case heads ~.205" thick.

The distance between the bolt fact and the butting side of the inner C ring is ~.105.

The extractor must not tough the barrel, is the extractor is limited to .105" above the bolt face.

The .223 web is thick enough, I guess I don't have to be too anal about case support.

post-40-1175447891_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

5-23-2007 I went to the range with some newly acquired replacement guns:

3) 1903 Turkish Mauser, with the barrel cut off and a 22 rimfire very old new stock barrel from ebay [the add said Douglas, but who knows?] Silver Soldered on, old Leupold M4 scope, welded bolt and ground down for scope this morning, cut down stock, barrel channeled out this morning, scope mount glass bedded yesterday, I went to the hospital from grinding the ears off this receiver. I cut the chamber with a .250" neck .223 reamer from Manson. The rifle cost $60 from Century, the barrel was $33 on ebay, and the scope mounts were $10. Not much into this rifle.

The bore was previously unfired, so cleaning was easy with Alcohol before moly burnishing.

a) a few shots to get it on the paper

B) 1.4" 5 shot @50 yards

c) 0.9" 5 shot@50 yards

d) 0.77" 5 shot @50yards

Two of us guys with 2 vehicles went to Montana 5-24 to 5-29 to look for land to buy and prairie dogs to shoot.

On an Indian reservation our guide loaned his .223 to the other guy, because his 17HMR was no good at 250 yards.

He came back wanting a .223, so I gave him the Silver Soldered rifle, with 4X scope.

He has not given it back yet, so maybe they bonded:)

I told him, "Fix the trigger, get a bigger scope, maybe it will shoot, maybe not."

3) 1903 Turkish Mauser, with the barrel cut off and a 22 rimfire very old new stock barrel from ebay [the add said Douglas, but who knows?] Silver Soldered on,

I had missed earlier that the barrel was a rimfire.

I guess that you are solving the chamber pressure issues by sleeving it inside the original

8MM chamber.

My question goes to the rest of the barrel, was it of 'bull' proportions for a rimfire?

I would be afraid that your typical rimfire barrel would be too light to be ridged enough

with the far higher pressure .223 round.

I'm not saying that a light barrel can't be accurate, my 30.06 Winchester is a featherweight.

I was just wondering if you sized this barrel up for it's weight or if you passed on others

because they were too light.

inquiring minds want to know.

Tinker

I know pressure.

Thicker is better, but once something is .2" thick, it is usually stronger than the brass.

The problem with 22 rimfire barrels in .223 is the steel is too soft and wears fast [i read this in books, but have not measured it]

The Douglas rimfire barrels are 4140 steel.

The only problem remaining is the slow twist rate.

55 gr bullets will not work.

35 gr bullets work great.

In between depends on velocity and bullet length.

I know pressure.

Thicker is better, but once something is .2" thick, it is usually stronger than the brass.

The problem with 22 rimfire barrels in .223 is the steel is too soft and wears fast [i read this in books, but have not measured it]

The Douglas rimfire barrels are 4140 steel.

The only problem remaining is the slow twist rate.

55 gr bullets will not work.

35 gr bullets work great.

In between depends on velocity and bullet length.

I have a 22rf barrel for my TC contender, which has been rechambered to the 22-30 carbine wildcat. In this case it would be hard to prove/disprove the "soft" steel thing. The twist rate thing, kinda fixed itself on mine , cause the bore is not .224, more like .222 or so! Therefor I get best results w/ the 40 gr Hornet bullet, from Sierra. Softer, smaller diameter, and what do ya know... accurate!!

What does the bore measure on your barrel Clark?? MV

• 2 weeks later...
What does the bore measure on your barrel Clark?? MV

I think it was on the small side.