Military Firearm Restoration Corner

91/30 Pu

Jimro

I picked one up today from a gunshop, and as far as I can tell it's authentic, except that it looks like the wood removed from the stock to make room for the scope mount base wasn't refinished, it looks like raw wood.

Jimro

EDIT: The rifle is a 1942, so it would be the earliest year for the PU scope, the scope is authentic, the base is authentic (no electro pencil markings I can find), but there hasn't been any filing done to it for rough zeroing. According to Vic Thomas this means I have an importer special, of course there is an exception to every rule. Either way I wanted a shooter so I'm happy with my purchase.

Vic is knowledgable in this field.

If its not electric penciled is most likely not a real one.

What does that mean?

The real ones started out as the most accurate ones test fired at the factory after they were built. The scopes mounts / rings were then centered to the axis of the bore and a scope was attached. This made for a very accurate rifle. When I say accurate...that means as accurate as a scope with its optics / reticle size can deliver. You will most likely find that after you zero the gun the reticle will be in one of the corners of the scope view.

Hopefully she'll shoot as good as I want. I boresighted the scope and found that it was centered left/right pretty good, so I shouldn't have to file/shim too much unless the boresight is way off the natural zero. I think the bullet drop compensating dial on the scope is calibrated for 148 grain light ball, so I'll start with that load.

Thanks for the info, also my rifle doesn't have the "7 alphanumeric serial number" on the left side of the chamber which is indicitave of a Russian sniper rifle. But the serial number on all the metal matches (reciever, bolt, magazine), and the bolt looks authentic (not a bend job).

I also found two stamps on the scope mount, which some internet sources say could be armorer stamps some units used instead of electropencil. I don't believe it, if this rifle ever was a sniper then it wasn't with the Russian army.

Jimro

jimro, hope i'm not off thread but i've been looking at the mosins at Big 5. how do i know if i get a keeper or one to pass up? i've never gotten close to one , just conserned is all. Dave <_<

Check the bore, the crown, and how difficult or easy it is to work the action. If all of those areas are good then you probably have a nice shooter. There are exceptions to every rule, but that is how I buy my Mosins.

All of the Mosins I've handled, and bought, at Big5 have been decent if not pristine examples. Good luck.

Jimro

thank you very much for the insite. like i said earlier i haven't seen them up close so i'll do what you suggested. agian thanks. Dave