Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Siamese

ken98k

I just finished recontouring the bridge on the Siamese I'm working on.

I didn't really want to do it because the original cotour had a nice concave radius on the sides but the clip area was too tall for a 1 peice base and not long enough for a weaver base.

post-200-1177615670_thumb.jpg

I just finished recontouring the bridge on the Siamese I'm working on.

I didn't really want to do it because the original cotour had a nice concave radius on the sides but the clip area was too tall for a 1 peice base and not long enough for a weaver base.

post-200-1177615670_thumb.jpg

Did you use a mill, or files/stones? I have a set-up for a drill press but all of my projects are at a standstill as temps are in the low 90's. This is when A/C gets turned on, doesn't work, and I'm swamped.......Scott

Did you use a mill, or files/stones? I have a set-up for a drill press but all of my projects are at a standstill as temps are in the low 90's. This is when A/C gets turned on, doesn't work, and I'm swamped.......Scott

I used a mill to recontour to 30 degrees then cleaned up with a file and finished up with 400G sand paper.

Spent about 10 hours working on the bolt last weekend, and it still looks like crap.

Then I discovered the threaded shank on my ER Shaw barrel is about .10 too long.

Normally that wouldn't matter but this is a fully chambered barrel that I should only have to set the shoulder back to headspace.

Now I'll have to get a finish reamer and requalify the whole works.

I'm really begining to hate this rifle but I'm determined to finish it.

• 2 weeks later...