Military Firearm Restoration Corner

9.3x57

Nelsdou

I would like to hear anyone's impression of the 9.3x57 that some Swede sporters are available in. I like the 57 case and have toyed with the idea of building a 9x57 or a 35 calx57 that would shoot jacketed and hard cast lead with authority. The 9.3 is an odd size for finding cast bullet moulds for but might be worth it if anyone can attest that it has any advantages as a better "thumper" than the 35 cal.

Nels

howdy nelsdou, I too hear the 9.3x57 is a killer gun. the 35x57 sounds like a good one also. I really like the 8x57 and 8-06. I'm always looking fro a bigger gun. keep us posted if you go with 35x57. Dave :P

Guest Guest_z1r_*

The two Huskys I have in 9.3x57 are some of my favorites. I look at the cartridge as a big .30-30. A 286 Grain bullet at 2100 fps is hard to argue with. Recoil is mild, easy to shoot and accurate. In a 98, you can get 150 fps more easily but 2100 works just fine. Factory ammo is relatively easy to find and that is an important consideration to me even though I handload.

got a ? how would the 9.3 do with an 06 case. whould the case stretch ok w/o splitting. Dave

OOOPs! just realized the 9.3 62 would equal a 9.3x64 or an 06 case. sory for the oversite. PS. I'll do better. :(

Appreciate the input. 2100 fps for a jacketed 286 g bullet is over 2700 ft-lbs of energy. Nifty! Should be a natural to also do well with hard cast lead. I'm guessing twist on a 9.3 barrel would be 14 to one?

The nice thing about the 9.3 bore would be the possibility to ream it up to the 9.3x62 if for some reason I got tired of the x57. Those Husqvarna's are really appealing and good steel. Saw one at the last gunshow in 8mm like Z has and it was hard to walk away from. Not sure if I can do it again. I'm thinking about postponing "making" one on a VZ-24 receiver and do some shopping for one of those Huskys in 9.3.

Nels

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest_MauserILike_*

I have a Swede sporter in 9.3x57. It is in its original state. Open sights. I have gotten a few 1.5 inch groups at 75 yards with the norma 286 gr. bullets. Could probably do better with a scope but I am not going to ruin the gun by doing that. I am a fan of the 57 case also. I have not gotten to shoot anything with it yet but I know it can do the job. With a model 98 action you can push them close to 2200 fps I have the one built on the ol' 94 action. I keep my loads around 2000 fps. Which is plenty out to about 135 or more yards. I have only ever shoot varments at anything much furthur so if you hunt in the woods you can't do any better than the 9.3x57 on anything up to moose at short ranges. They say the power is simular the the american 358 Win. MIL

Well, I joined the 9.3x57 club. Should have the Swede beauty in my hands next week. Definitely shopping for 9.3x57 reloading dies now and some bargins on 9.3 bullets. Is there much in the way of written ballistic info on this cartridge out there?

Nels

Congrats! The Norma website has some data. The best buy on bullets I know of is the Prvi Partizan 285 grainer from Grafs. They have brass too but you can simply neck up 8x57. Hornady dies were about the best deal I found.

Accurate Arms lists 41.0 grains of AA2460 as max. That is what I use in mine. It shoots 1" groups with the iron sights at 100 yds. I never chronoed it but I guess 2050 fps or so.

44.0 Grains of AA2460 is max with a 250 grainer.

And 43.0 grains of 2495 is max with a 286.

And lastly AA5744 can be used for a reduced load with bullets ranging from 270 to 290 grains. Start load 23.0 grains, max load 35.0

You can substitutue RL15 for Norma 202. RL15 burns about 3% slower than N202. So, back off by at least 10%.

Finally, some other published data I have shows:

47.0 grains of 3031 with a 232 grain bullet at 2330 fps.

43.0 grains of 3031 with a 286 grain bullet at 2070 fps.

I have a buddy that is starting up a custom Ammo manufacturing company and he will load for the 9.3x57 as well as most other metric calibers.

Please excercise caution in using these loads, always start 10% lower.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Be alert - Publisher assumes no responsibility for errors in published load data.

Az,

Thanks. I'm still awaiting the FFL approval. Have the shop mostly set up and will (cross my fingers) be open for business real soon. I could use it too, the job I moved to Denver for is no more. So, I have a new (to us) house and no job. :-( Not to worry though, I have a line of customers waiting for the shingle to be hung. Hopefully I'll have some repeat business and lots of new customers.

I have a Jpeg of some 9.3x57 load data, if anyone wants it email me. mccabeguns(at)yahoo.com

Thanks for the reload info Z!

I got a line on some cast lead .367 270 grain bullets from Mt Baldy Bullets, too. The AA5744 should work well on hard cast lead.

Keep us posted on the shop. I'm in New Mexico and wouldn't hesitate to ship my gunsmith work to Denver.

Nels