Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mn Id Help

odies dad

I am trying to figure out what this is.

A friend brought in a MN that I am trying to ID. It has a hex receiver, a blade type front sight without a shroud, a saw toothed rear sight elevator marked 4,6,8,10,12, sporter styled stock with a Remington UMC butt plate, a barrel band that fits the barrel rather than top handguard, a forearm tip that appears to be lead, small crest with "pi"(II with the top lines connected), SN# 3796xx, top of safety strap is drilled at point and a notched on the left side toward the front.

I don't have my camera available to take a picture.

Did Remington make a MN sporter? This looks like 1950's vintage work. Hand cut checkering and stuff like that, but some of the features are done more like a factory sporter.

Any ideas?

250283995.jpg

250283991.jpg

250283989.jpg

250283988.jpg

250283987.jpg

250283985.jpg

This thing appears to have some chamber issues. Compare the fired case below with the unfired case. There appears to be a pit in the chamber that made extraction difficult and a bulge at the base of the case neck. The bore seems to be good.

250283981.jpg

Is the chamber rusted out? Please show me a picture of the bolt face and head. Someone may have re-chambered this if the chamber bore is not rusted. It may be a modified Bannerman gun.

The chamber has a bunch of scratches in it and a couple pits. The bolt face appears stock. There is a chip off part of the ring around the face of the bolt.

What is a Bannerman?

Bannerman was a guy who bought surplus firearm parts and made "frankensporters" out of them. Think Mauser with 1917 Enfield barrel fitted to attach a dutch bayonet. Did crazy things cobbling together firearms from cheap parts.

Jimro

Must be a wildcat... Weatherby had the double-radius shoulder, this appears a double-stepped shoulder :)

The Bannerman MNs were "converted" and advertised to shoot 30'06; I see how they did it. Just ran an '06 reamer into the chamber.

Try an empty 30'06 case and see if it chambers. If everything but the barrel is functional, you could always replace the barrel. The stock is very interesting. With a new barrel and a black fore end tip, that would actually be a snazzy rifle.

Quoting De Haas: "Years ago two good receiver sights were made for the M-N action. One was the King "Little Giant", an adjustable peep sight which was mounted on the top arm of the cocking piece. The other was a Lyman with a swinging slide, similar to the one made for the Mannlicher-Schoenauer rifle which also has an action in which the bolt handle passes through a slotted bridge."

Your cocking piece may have been cut for a King sight.

As junky as they are, I wonder if there is any collector interest for this rifle? A Sedgley it ain't! This almost bears the markings of a letter to the American Rifleman Q&A...