Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Ammo by mail..wonderful

karlunity

Folks.

I needed some ammo so I called the good folks at SOG.

200 7.62/54r and 200 mauser rounds for $58 bucks total.

Now if you can find Milsup ammo the local shops, it goes for $ 6 per 20 rounds plus tax. If you cannot find mil-sup ammo, well try anywere between 10 to 20 bucks for a box of 20 rounds.

If I wanted to buy by the case, I have no place to store cases of ammo, alas,

it would have been cheaper.

What a golden age this is for shooters.

Karl

If you have no place to store ammo, you aren't being creative enough. Is there no place in the basement, garage, closets, toolshed (in a locked container of course), etc.

The basement or closest is preferred for long term storage, but the others will do for short term...

Jimro

You can stand two cases on end, put a board across the top and viola! Coffee table. What's not to like?

DT.

Sir. I raise my glass in respectful awe of your creative genius biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Karl ..standing in respect!

About ammo crates and/or cases....

A couple of years ago I was at J&G Sales in AZ and I saw a big stack of wooden ammo crates outside the store, so while I was inside making my purchases, I asked how much the crates were, and the woman told me that they were $.50 without the lids and $1.00 with lids. Being a big spender, I bought 4 crates with lids. Each of the crates had the zinc liners inside, and none of the crates was what I would call lovely...they all had nicks, gouges, chips and dents...but I figured that I could use them for something once I got them home. Maybe storing ammo? Nah, that would have been a little weird.

I got the crates home and had them stacked in my garage awaiting a time when I could decide on what to do with them...months went by and I needed to clean up my garage and sort out the stuff I didn't need and the crates were starting to seem more like something I didn't need at that point. A friend came by as I was working in the garage and she spied the crates and I gave them to her on the spot. She immediately "saw" something in them and she sat down on the floor of my garage, begging tools off of me as she needed them, and proceeded to make a pair of tables out of the crates. Functional "rustic" looking tables that ROLLED no less! The whole process took about 20 minutes! The tables aren't really my taste, but I did find her ingenuity pretty cool!

As for the ammo by mail thing...it is wonderful, but I already have a few cases of ammo stored that I can't shoot here at ranges in CA, and I have to move the stuff when I relocate next year, so I have forbidden myself to order any more until I have another place to store it! I guess it's fortunate for me that I haven't found any great gotta-have-it sales on ammo recently...otherwise, I might not be able to resist!

Guest Model70

1800 rounds of brass cased Yugo 8mm for $112 shipped to your front door is a good enough price to store some away for the future. It is lead core...is that why it is not allowed in The People's Rebublik of Kalifornia?

Ammo cases fit nicely under the bed wink.gif

Actually, Model70, lead-cored bullets are allowed at CA ranges...the steel-cored bullets are not...sparking hazards at outdoor ranges.

I live here in the southern CA desert, so fires in the areas of at least two local outdoor ranges are a very real possibility...that's why the prohibition around steel-cored ammo.

I handload a lot of my pistol ammo with lead bullets, and started replacing my 8mm and my 7.62 X 54R mil-surp, steel-cored bullets with lead-cored bullets so I can shoot them at a range I frequent, it's inconvenient and makes the milsurp ammo much less a bargain than it would be without the prohibitions, but if I want to shoot I have to do it this way.

Yep, the price you mention for the 8mm Yugoslav ammo is good...but the last thing I need to do is acquire a whole lot more bulky stuff to move! So please stop tempting me!

wink.gif

Guest Guest_mod70_*

Far be it from me to attempt to tempt biggrin.gif

Conquest is easy--control is not............Kirk -- stardate unknown

Not living near a distributor of milsurp ammo, I made my own cases (which store under the bed with ease).

Here is just one of many---

user posted image

fritz

Guest Guest_mod70_*

Fritz

Don't worry about how distant the distributor(s) are. As long as the BBT knows your address you can get the ammo. Problem is is that most of them kill you on shipping, with the exception of CIA.

Nice cases

Getting the ammo is no problem, and I usually get it from Century. I just can't see paying more for shipping than what the ammo costs.

Some obviously don't care about shipping costs, but I do. As to the crates, the shipping charges on the used crates would be more than I wanted to pay.

So I made my own. Not real military crates, but a helluva lot cleaner and easier to store under the bed. I usually sleep over 3 cases of ammo and a loaded AK.

I sleep well.

fritz

fritz --

Your crates are beautiful! I admire the work you put into them...they're very tidy too...and you know how a woman loves something tidy! LOL!

I was just thinking that if I ever get to pick up some ammo crates again, I will disassemble them, clean up the wood a bit, and reassemble them to put them back into play!

I was going to purchase some crates from Ammunitionstore.com at one point, as they were cheap, cheap, cheap...but like fritz said, the shipping costs on crates is what kills you!

I usually repack my opened cases of ammo into ammo cans, for portability and storage...and the cans stack nicely.

My biggest problem is having more ammo than my smallish collection of ammo cans will accommodate...I am forever picking up a few ammo cans at a time at gun shows. When I finally move, I hope to be able to solve the ammo storage problem in a more permanent way.