Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Sweede

Guest Guest_kenak2_*

Very nice Kenny! Those Swedes sure loved their serial numbers.96's and 38's are my favorite Mausers.A 94 is kinda in the same catagory as a Mexican Mauser for me.Reckon I'll never have one.Jerry

Very nice Kenny! Those Swedes sure loved their serial numbers.96's and 38's are my favorite Mausers.A 94 is kinda in the same catagory as a Mexican Mauser for me.Reckon I'll never have one.Jerry

I don't hold out much hope of ever getting a mexican either, especialy since I've never even seen one. But then you never know, I just happenened on this sweede in a pawn shop 300 miles from home.

It was marked $189 and I got it for $175.

I'm not sure if it is / was a 94 or a 96. Is there a difference in the actions?

Kenny,I don't know if there's any difference either,but yours having the 1917 date on it means you have a 96.I do know a 94 has a very short barrel.Something like 171/2''.As sharp and clear as the crown and date are in the pictures,I bet it's new looking under the wood too.Maybe the condition most Swedes are in is the reason they're my favorite mousers.I wish I could find some that have been sporterized so I could buy and re-do them to suit me.I will not tear up a nice Swede anymore.Yours looks to be sportered well,and that's purty unusual.Good find!Jerry

Kenny,I don't know if there's any difference either,but yours having the 1917 date on it means you have a 96.I do know a 94 has a very short barrel.Something like 171/2''.As sharp and clear as the crown and date are in the pictures,I bet it's new looking under the wood too.Maybe the condition most Swedes are in is the reason they're my favorite mousers.I wish I could find some that have been sporterized so I could buy and re-do them to suit me.I will not tear up a nice Swede anymore.Yours looks to be sportered well,and that's purty unusual.Good find!Jerry

This one does have a 17 1/2" barrel, which has been counterbored about 5/16".

The only other things I can see that have been changed are the stock and the rear sight.

I pulled the wood off and it looks just as good below the stock line.

Guest gun_nutty

I think the 94s were mostly or all German contract, i.e., they were German manufacture.

I also recall that the 94 didn't have as deep of a thumb notch as the 96.

De Haas had a pretty good breakdown of the differences in his book "Bolt Action Rifles". I'm unfortunately not near my edition. If someone doesn't post before Wednesday, I'll post it.

I think the 94s were mostly or all German contract, i.e., they were German manufacture.

I also recall that the 94 didn't have as deep of a thumb notch as the 96.

De Haas had a pretty good breakdown of the differences in his book "Bolt Action Rifles". I'm unfortunately not near my edition. If someone doesn't post before Wednesday, I'll post it.

I spent a few hours reseaching 94-96s last night and this is what I learned-

1. Early 94s had a shallow thumb cut and did NOT have the guide rib on the bolt.

2. Mod 94s built after 1896 have the full depth thumb cut and guide rib on the bolt as well as the gas escape holes of the 96.

3. All 94s have a short (17.38") barrel and a bent down bolt handle.

4. Except for sniper and target models, all 96s have a straight bolt handle.

5. All 96s have a 29.10" barrel.

6. Model 1938 Sweeds are identicle to 96s except for a shorter barrel (23.60") and have a bent down bolt handle.

I was not able to determine how many years the 94s were made but they were produced to at least 1917 as evidenced by my rifle.