Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Huge Pig By 11 Y/o

FC

Get this- it was a S&W .50 caliber special edition! How does an 11 y/o handle it?

This was in the European and Australian news too. Of course, the European comments were accusing the parents of neglect in letting an 11 y/o run around with a pistol, and basically calling them Rednecks and Rambo, who killed Mr. Innnocent Piggy. Screwy Europeans should mind their own business.

Here we go again! Dang I hate being the stick-in-the-mud cat on these kind of reports,but since I don't believe in ghost,bigfoots,lockness monsters,or little green men from outerspace,I gotta have better proof.The hog was killed on a 2,500 acre hunting preserve.That means high fence to me.An animal of any kind that size is going to be hard Not to find on 2,500 acres.The hogs nose is short and turned up like a domestic.They went to a public calibrated scale,but have no real witnesses.The pictures get out on the internet,after the head is being mounted and the meat is being processed.If everthing was on the up and up,and after all the attention hogzilla got by even National Geographic,wouldn't you haul it around weighing it on every scale you could with hundreds of witnesses since you broke a world record like hogzilla's.Just wait until they try some bacon off a borehog that large and old.It'll stink so bad,they won't be eating bacon for a while.A mature hog with his nuts is unedible,at least I can't eat it,and I've tried.I've seen my share of home raised hogs and feral hogs,and the 2 are very different.The big jowls and short nose are hard to find on a wild hog.I've watched Guns and Ammo shows and a couple hunting shows using the .50 S&W,and I aint buying the fact a 11 year old was using one.Like our Missourian friends,you gotta show me.My therory is,it's a high fence ranch,the hog was raised for just the right person that had enough money,the boy was taken to the hog with his dad and a couple other guys that just happen to have rifles,and he shot at close range.A wild hog won't get to over a 1,000lbs by letting 4 hunters walk up to him within pistol range.Doubting Thomas

Guys,

El Piggie was killed with a limited edition 500 S&W revolver. Smith made a small production run of these blacked out revolvers and apparently the lad's father owns one. Read this link for discussion and pictures.

I've read some various input on this story and there are many nay-sayers proclaiming an overestimation of the hog's size. Whether the pig weighs 500lbs or 2500lbs, my only thoughts are to congratulate the young man on a successful hunt and wish him best of luck on shooting another. This hunt has probably made a lifetime hunter out of him and Lord knows we need to encourage more young people to get off the streets and away from the XBox and into the woods. I have my doubts if that hog really weighs over a grand, but then I don't really care either.

If anything, I'm envious that the kid got a guided hunt and bagged a huge hog. There's a million other things I'd rather do that be stuck in a cubicle five days a week chained to a desk and hunting ranks right on up near the top of the list!

-Jason

If it's all true,then the kid will be a hunter for life.If it's not true in every way,he'll be a liar for life.Hope his dad is training him to be a ethical hunter and not a scam man.Jerry

Ahh yes,

The doubters will always come. But if it takes Fox News to substantiate a story, I still have my doubts.

Besides, it wasn't a "feral" hog. Anybody who has killed as many as I have can tell the difference between a true feral hog and a domestic hog that was fed out on a game preserve.

fritz

"We were told that it was a feral hog," Mike Stone said, "and we hunted it on the pretense that it was a feral hog."

Yeah, yeah. I have heard that before.

ANY hunter that can not tell the difference between a feral hog and a pet domestic hog should not be allowed to be turned loose on a parcel of land to hunt.

I have a distaste in my mouth for these "canned hunts", and that is all the hell this was!

I also dislike the baiting of deer (a game animal) so that a hunter need only set in a comfy blind along a sendero and shoot the biggest one that eats his corn (or the corn put out by the "guide", ie preserve manager).

That is not the way I hunted. But I guess it is the way that hunts are conducted nowadays that money talks, and talks loudly.

I am getting about fed up with the high-fence (but I noticed that article mentioned low-fence) style of hunting. It will someday be examined in the Texas Legislature how putting up a high fence around your ranch (and fencing IN native whitetail deer which are the property of the State of Texas) can allow this practice to continue.

Exotics are exempt from hunting seasons, but not native whitetail deer. If you put a high fence around your ranch, you are fencing IN all deer, not just the exotics you introduced.

Feral hogs are not a game animal. And it goes to reason that domestic hogs are not either.

I would consider anyone who shoots a pet hog and perpretrates a story such as this to be a sorry excuse for a hunter. Or maybe he just had enough money to make himself look like a "big shot".

Jerry, I guess we have once again learned to listen to the old saying----"Believe nothing you read, and only half of what you see".

fritz

I don't care who you are , what your after, or where your after it ,if it's fenced in it AINT huntin'.2500 acres ,that ain't enough ground to have a good hound race on,take a good windy day and you can about piss across it.I feel sorry for the kid ,hell he don't know any better,his dad ought to have his bag hog ringed to that fence. Jim

If it wasn't fenced in I'd aree that 2500 acres would be way more than enough to hunt on ,but to my way of thinking theres a big difference between 2500 acres and the north American continet.We have fox and coyote pens around here ,where folks that don't have a place to run their hounds on the '' outside'' pay to run their dogs.The biggest one I know of is about 7000 acres,I went with a friend to try out a high priced hound one night at this place,never again do I want to listen to hound music "inside" .It was saddening and sickening at the same time.I think you might be surprised just how small that really is. Jim

I've hunted deerleases that size,and if there was a horse there,you could find him every day.That hog was as big as a horse,only shorter.A 150lb whitetail deer is a whole different story.High fences are for only one purpose,and that's to make money,and our deer belong to everyone.Hunting an animule that's enclosed is killing,not hunting.I know what hunting is.I hunt a small 10,000 acre ranch in Big Bend that may only have 20 deer on it,sometimes.Maybe 1,000 javelinas,but few deer,so you have to enjoy the hunt more than the kill.Jerry

I've hunted deerleases that size,and if there was a horse there,you could find him every day.That hog was as big as a horse,only shorter.A 150lb whitetail deer is a whole different story.High fences are for only one purpose,and that's to make money,and our deer belong to everyone.Hunting an animule that's enclosed is killing,not hunting.I know what hunting is.I hunt a small 10,000 acre ranch in Big Bend that may only have 20 deer on it,sometimes.Maybe 1,000 javelinas,but few deer,so you have to enjoy the hunt more than the kill.Jerry

The Texas Legislature was supposed to take up the issue of high game fences (that fence in native game animals as well as fence in exotic and non-game species). Most any pasture 2500 acres will have native game living on it, and when someone erects a high fence around it---it fences IN the native game animals (which happen to be the property of the State of Texas.Just ask any game warden!)

The fenced-in native game animals (whitetail deer) cannot get out of the confinement area that a so-called "game management" creates. That is not right, but just like the Texas grey law on having a handgun in your vehicle being a violation unless you were "traveling", the law on having a handgun in your vehicle has changed. As long as a motorist (does not have to meet stupid criteria of "traveling") is driving lawfully, he/she cannot be charged with having a handgun in the vehicle. There is no need for the license issued by the State of Texas to carry a concealed weapon.

But, do not leave your vehicle with the gun on you. It must stay in your vehicle. Makes sense to me. What does not make sense to me is that someone who has gotten in favor with his local county extension agent and become a member of a county "game management area" can erect a high fence and do whatever the hell he wants to do on it.

By being a member of the county game management program, he/she is not checked as regularly as a non-member. Now we once again see truth in the old saying---"Membership has its advantages".

I think it will be a long time before the Texas Legislature actually does anything about the high fences. Hell, they don't want to piss-off the owners of these big game preserves. These are "big shots". Anyone who owns 2500 acres ain't exactly a poor old country boy!

fritz