Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Another Swede Sporter Question

Nelsdou

I'm cleaning up my new (new to me) Husqvarna sporter in 9.3x57. I make note of the action screw positions before I take the barreled action from the stock and notice it has a third small screw in the stock forearm to the rear sight base.

Is this small screw from the forearm to the barrel more of a tuning screw? After re-assembling the action back into the stock and tightening the two action screws, it just doesn't seem right to me out of hand to cinch down very hard at all on the forearm screw to the barrel.

Nels

Ok,

here's what I've done with great success in my swede sporters. Most either have or will develop a crack just behind the rear tang on the top of the grip. As nice as the swedes are their stock inletting sucks. I glass bed all mine and relieve the area just behind the rear tang. I bed all the way out to just in front of that forearm screw. I stick some of that black pvc tape on the bottom & sides of the block that the screw goes into. That way when you remove the tape the block doesn't bear in the stock. I snug up the screw but not near as tight as the actions screws. Mine is an honest 1" shooter.

If the forearm were thicker you could bed the forward block but my buddy who builds stocks advised me not to and I don't regret heeding his advice. Hope that helps.

Here we are, the first one the nekkid barreled action, note the tiny screw under the rear sight. Had some old muck and grime under the wood line, but cleaned up easily.

000_0003.jpg

The stock came with some hideous shellack gooped on it and I already wiped most of it off with denatured alcohol.

000_0009.jpg

This one came from Allen's Armory and the background is the hard plastic case he ships them in. It's worth it. Stock wood is incredibly light, almost delicate, and I think glass bedding that old wood is a good idea. The rear action screw doesn't have a sleeve stop like a M98. I'm wondering if that would also help in addition to relieving a bit behind the tang. Bore on this baby looks wonderful and the muzzle crown is sharp. A bit of copper was evident on the lands but it cleaned right up on the first try. Can't wait to shoot it, but I think glassing and getting the stock set up is the right priority.

Nels

She's a beauty! Just like the one I have.

FYI, since mine had a slight crack at the tang I also put a dab of bedding compound at the rear where the pillar normally is. A couple of hundred rounds later and all is still dandy.

A friend emailed me tonight with the whereabouts of another just like ours.

Sorry, I had to post just one more pic of mine.

pairof93s.jpg

Notice that the lower barreled action, a later model, does not have the fore end screw.

Here is a pic of that bottom action with the fajen Mannlicher style stock it is going into.

93x57mannlicher.jpg

Another later model I have also has a bit of a schnabel on the end. Something I really like. But I don't like the barrel contour as much. Again, this one also doesn't have the fore end screw.

93x57and8x57.jpg

I think you did very well. Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the pictures fellers.That barrel mounted sling swivel and rounded pistol grip(much like the old Remington shotguns)ring my bells.Who wouldn't want to own a rifle like that? Jerry