Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Work Boots For Standing On Concrete

littlecanoe

Hello guys,

I'm looking for recommendations for work boots for my dad. He's getting a bit arthritic and will be 69 in October. I'm trying to find a quality boot that will absorb bit of the shock of standing around on concrete. What are ya'll seeing used and using?

$ amount really isn't an issue (within reason) if they do the job.

thanks,

lc

I like a wedge type sole with aftermarket gel insoles for standing on hard surfaces. The Durashock gel insoles that came with my Wolverines were pretty good, but the Dr. Sholes that I replaced them with were even better. After I'd worn the first set of soles off these boots, I resoled them with Vibram brand wedge soles and replaced the insoles with newer, better gel types (hey, package claimed latest & greatest and they were pretty comfortable) and I wore the these until the soles gave out again and I had them resoled a third time.

My boots now have a harder heeled sole on them and new arch supporting insoles. The harder soles are rougher on my feet, but since I'm not standing around on a shop floor all day now, they're perfect for what I do with them. I spent six years working on concrete and hardwood floors and in that time, I really grew to like the wedge sole boots with gel insoles. Also, I can highly recommend Wolverine Durashocks. The pair I own is its tenth year and third set of soles and I think they'll last forever as long as I keep the leather clean and cared for.

Jason,the Wolves with wedge sole have changed some,and are now made in China.My last pair are 4 yrs old,and like you,I put jell inersoles in a couple times and were the best,most durable,and comfortable boots I have ever worn.I got new wolverines,made in USA,but they have a blocky toe(have to wear steel toe),but are lightweight and were sooo easy to break in.That's what I like about Wolverines.I wore Redwings for years,and when they finally got comfortable,they were worn out. Jerry

I have been walking on a steel heel [prosthetic, permanently screwed to my ankle inside] since 1993! Wolverine?... yup! one of the best . Jel inserts? If they fit in there w/ yer foot ... kool.. But my favorite shoe comes from Red Wing! No bells or whistles [could'nt afford em after the bill] work really good!!! $0.02 MV

I have to agree with Racepress on the Redwing shoes. After spraining my ankle, a Dr recommended them. They were not by any means inexpensive but worth every dime after returning to work. I was really surprised how long the cushion soles and heels lasted.

Whatever brand of boots you decide on, don't leave them on the back steps if you have a dog. I thought my three year old lab was over that puppy thing, but I left a pair of old worn Georgia Giant boots on the steps (because they were wet from dew).

This morning when I went to put them on, they were chewed on the heels and the toes. Well, only one boot, but she bit both ends.

Are the Wolverine boots dog-proof?

fritz

Thanks again!

Is there a particular model of the Red Wings that you'd recommend?

lc

LC, sorry I can't recall the model. If you have a Red Wing store in your area, take dad there. Even if you have to spend some time driving to one I can assure you it will be worth trip. If it is a Red Wing franchise store. They will have numerous styles and types and take the time measuring and trying different styles to assure a perfect fit. When I was in the uniform business I tried to get Red Wing but they were not interested in doing business with me. I had to sell high priced top quality shoes and boots to qualify for employee reimbursement for Post Office and police employees. My shoes and boots were top notch but still close seconds to Red Wing. I just can't describe the comfortable feeling once my feet were in the Red Wing shoes. My second pair of Red Wings I was able to special order a right shoe one size wider than the left for no additional charge.

If you can't find Red Wing in your area try a large uniform store that deals with postal, police, fireman etc. Don't let them rush you, they are making apx 40% profit. Make them work for it regarless of how many shoes or boots he has to try on. Avoid uniform stores that deal primarily with medical uniforms. Be carefull if buying boots. You might find a perfect comfortable fit but some high quality work boots have a tendancy to be on the warm side and working on pavement might warm them up pretty quick. Heavy persperation will ruin a pair of boots pretty quick.

Also try the Thorlo brand Comfort Zone sox but take a deep breath before asking the price. Thorlo sox sold in medical supply and uniform stores are (or where) the same. Medical supplys selling them to diabetics jack the price so high I can't see how they sleep nights. In 1989 I sold Thorlos starting at 7.95 a pair and I had the best price in Phoenix. Can't imagine what they are getting today.

Looks like I have some "foot work" to do.

I've used Thorlo socks before. They are expensive but I've noticed that they wear very comfortably and are durable. That nominal difference in cost means a lot in comfort.

lc

Are the Wolverine boots dog-proof?

fritz

I learned my lesson the hard way after my Rottie got one of my fairly new Mexican boots and used it for a chew toy. I drove a nail in the wall and now hang my boots on a piece of weedeater string if I'm going to leave them outside to dry. About 20 years ago I left my work shoes outside overnight and sure enough some tom cat blessed them. It took about an hour for the stench to kick into overdrive and I had to leave work and go buy another pair of shoes and sox.

I have learned to shake the boots out before putting them on, especially with all the scorpians we have been seeing lately. Mrs fritz got bit by one in the kitchen sink this morning, the damned things are seeking moisture. Our exterminator cannot gaurantee his stuff will kill scorpians. We usually only see them in the house during a dry spell.

There is lightning on the northern horizon tonight, maybe rain is on the way. That may slow down the scorpians, but increase the feral hog activity.

Life is never dull, down on the farm.

fritz