Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Dumb Thread Question

spec4 e4

Ok this maybe an dumb question but is the A&B barrel threads different then the Mauser LR threads? I have an A&B barrel that will not screw into the receiver.

Thanks

Spec.4

P.S. This company is running us to death, but will love the money :lol: .

Not a dumb question at all. yes, the threads are different. The mauser uses 1.10" x 12 tpi whitworth threads (55 degree) while the A&B barrel is 1.10" x 12 tpi std threads (60 degree). Brownells sells a tap made to clean up teh receiver threada but I find it easier to just cut the proper threads on the barrel. Why the US manufacturers continue this practice is beyond me.

Hi, If your barrel will only screw on part of the way, try some lapping compound on the threads. If you don't have lapping compound valve gringing compound will do the same thing. Preiodically wash out the compound and check the fit as you can make it too loose of a fit.

Basically what Machinist 1 said.

I used an A&B barrel a while back that was extremely tight

and had to use valve grinding compound to get it to go on.

I think that they (A&B) hold to the upper side of the tolerances.

Hey you can always take some away, it's harder to put some on.

The problem you are having and I had was that the barrel was on

the "+" side of the tolerances and the receiver is on the "-" side.

Tinker

Hard to beat that deal. I've been wanting to try the .260, let us know how it works for you.

The problem you are having and I had was that the barrel was on

the "+" side of the tolerances and the receiver is on the "-" side.

That's an interesting statement when you are trying to fit together two different thread forms. The real issue is you are trying to put a square peg in a round hole. The allowable tolerances for a std thread would not be the same for a whitworth form thread.

Most likely the way to solve this in this case is to lap like everyone has suggested. But this is the big reason that I do not use pre-threaded barrels unless the have the proper 55 degree thread form like Lothar Walther supplies.