Military Firearm Restoration Corner

I bought Bubba's Type 99 war trophy

Robert357

Well I have been thinking about getting a 6.5 mm Arisaka and went to the WAC Puyallup gunshow today. Not more than about 5 tables into the show than this really nice gentleman (even older than I am) has an Arisaka on his table. I ask to look at it and it is a combination of something that looks nice and not nice all at the same time.

The bolt has been turned and welded, but done nicely. The stock by the bolt handle was filed but no finish was put on the cut part. The barrel was shortened with a nice crowning job and the stock is custom, but probably home made. The barrel is free floated, but the screws holding the action to the stock were very loose. The barrel need to be cleaned, but even with the dust you could see that the bore looked good. It had a williams type peep site (but unknown brand). Front sight was a nice gold bead affair.

The Mum had not been ground off, which suprised me. The bolt number didn't match the action. There was no sling nor sling swivels. It had a really nice shock absorbing recoil pad.

He wanted $165.

I really would have preferred the 6.5 mm, but he tossed in a box of unfired factory loaded Norma ammo and a lee loader die set (I already had both 6.5 & 7.7 Lee press die sets). Then he told me he would give me the whole thing for $150.

I bought it. After I got home I cleaned it. Checked it over closely. Then tightened up all the main screws holding things together. Then off to the range.

First shot at 100 yards was far upper left of the target. Tried two more also high and left. Adjusted the peep site and brought the point of impact right to the horizontal mid line, but still noticably to the left. Adjusted the windage, then again, then again. Now it was printing right toward the center of the black. Last two shots were just below the X dead center but an inch low and about 1/4 inch left of center just about the X-ring. I figured that I would stop messing with the sights. Only the first three rounds were outside of the black at 100 yards.

OK, I'm happy.

Deprimed all 10 rounds I shot during the sighting in. I still have 10 factory rounds I can use as comparisons. I'll cook up some handloads using H-4895 and Rem CoreLokt .312 cal bullets I use for my MN 1895/30. This is going to be fun.

Now I need to work up some serious loads for this thing to see if I can improve the accuracy. I also have a glass bedding kit I bought for my MN but haven't used yet. I'm kind of thinking that I could probably do two at once. Hm.... I may have some interesting fall projects with this.

Any suggestions.

I've been looking for a 38 6.5 Jap too,but the prices have gone out of sight on the gun auction boards.Sounds like you got a good one.I saw a 7.7 a while back at the Dallas gunshow that was in a laminute(gray)stock,had the reciever tangs shortened like a Mauser,and the safety knob turned down to about the size of a 38,and with the nice taper the barrel has,it was a fine looking gun.Jerry

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

FC and Horsefly, its been ages since I saw you names. I have forgotten what it was you two collected. I'm still after all the Japanese I can find. riceone. might have been using rcb.

Ya,that's all I want.I wouldn't mind a barrel 'cause they have such a nice taper to 'um,but an action would be a good start.I haven't been looking for one for months now and have went on to other projects,but would still like to come across one.My little brother bought a 38 at a pawnshop here a few months back for 150.00 and it is a piece of art.What I mean is,it's been sportered,and somebody knew their stuff.There isn't a thing about it I'd change.Jerry