Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Rem take-offs

Guest Guest_mod70_*

Guest Guest_mod70_*

I was looking at some Rem take-offs and wondering if the bolt head ring actually lends any strength to the case head seeing as how their barrels are significantly short chamberd compared to other brands. I don't hear of Remingtons blowing cases any more than any other brand but can't see how their bolt head would actually enclose a case head tightly enough to truly support it. Am I missing something? It would be nice to be able to use their barrels without having to buy/rent reamers for a bunch of calibers.

Thoughts or insight welcome...

Guest Guest_mod70_*

Jiimro

Thanks for the input. I have sectioned a number of cases over the years. I do realize the web is the thickest part but all the gunsmithing books I have read make a big to do about making sure the chamber accepts the cartridge down to the extraction groove. Remington chambers leave more of the case exposed than do the .050" short chambered barrels I buy. I was just wondering why/how it is okay to have a lot of case head exposed on a Rem barrel but not with other brands.

I have read that brass flows around 65kPSI and some of the mag cartridges commonly push that number. With that in mind it seemed to me that the Rem design is not the best for a high pressure cartridge unless there was truly significant support provided by the 'inner ring'.

If it was properly fitted for match grade accuracy it might possibly give support, however, since Rem700's are mass produced I'm going to say that they aren't properly fitted as a general rule, but the 3 rings mumbo jumbo has always been about "safety". Somehow encasing the cartrige in the chamber, bolt head, and reciever ring, is "safer" than a Mauser or winM70 which only uses the chamber and reciever ring.

Of course the portion of the brass left "exposed" by a CRF rifle is the very strongest, thickest portion.

One guy made a booboo reloading, filled his 300 Winmag full of VARGET (way too fast) and ruined his custom Rem700, peeled the barrel like a banana. However, since the action was trued and lapped so that the lugs bore evenly, he didn't recieve any injury, but his experience with putting a bomb in his 700 made me understand that the 3 rings of steel is more advertising than anything else.

Heck, the Savage system leaves a portion of the case unsupported, and it's a helluva action. I think Sierra used one for their 338 Lapua magnum pressure tests.

Jimro

The Rem deals with escaping gase by containment. The enclosed bolt head is at such close angles that the gases effectively form a block and contain themselves. The Mauser uses re-direction and good venting.

Mostly, like Jimro said, it is hype. I believe the Mauser to be less prone to ruptured cases due to better casehead support. That's why even in mausers with lots of setback you still rarely get a case seperation, especially near the base.