Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Rem take-offs

Guest Guest_mod70_*

Guest Guest_mod70_*

I was looking at some Rem take-offs and wondering if the bolt head ring actually lends any strength to the case head seeing as how their barrels are significantly short chamberd compared to other brands. I don't hear of Remingtons blowing cases any more than any other brand but can't see how their bolt head would actually enclose a case head tightly enough to truly support it. Am I missing something? It would be nice to be able to use their barrels for projects without having to buy/rent reamers for a bunch of calibers.

Thoughts or insight welcome...

Well, as I once read, if the bolt is perfectly fitted to the chamber, and if there is not gap, then maybe yes it is stronger. However, if there is a gap or misfitting, that gap occurs farther up the the side of the case than with the Mauser.

Meaning, that where the case is unsupported on a Mauser, the lack of support is where the brass is the thickest anyway. If there is a lack of support with the Remington system, the lack occurs where the brass is thinner.

To me, it is kinda 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Is the Remington system better? Obviously Mauser didn't think so, or they would have incorporated it into more of their rifles than they did. Relatively few of their rifles have a "safety breech", al la Remington.