Military Firearm Restoration Corner

What I Did For The Fourth

swamprat

Went to my daughters house for a great cookout. My son-in-law can grill to a fair the well. Had to wait out a rain storm and tornado alert but got the grill fired about 4pm. Bought my grandsons a bunch of fireworks and took 2 of my black powder signal cannons. The boys were in seventh heaven with firing the cannons and blowing up pop cans with fire crackers. Son-in-law's nephew Josh was visiting (14 years old) and he fell in love with the cannons. Before we were done Josh was measuring powder, loading, and firing like a civil war vet. Kept saying,"I got to get one of these". Finished the evening with the usual assortment of night fireworks. All set off by the grandsons and Josh. Got to set back and enjoy thier excitement. All in all a really great Forth.

What was yours like?

Swamprat

I laid around all day. I smoked a brisket, watched the rain fall, watched TV, and took a nap in my chair.

I wish I could have more Wednesdays like this.

I went to Cabela's and bought me a smoker.They have this brand in now that's 1/4 steel,the firebox has a lid you can open and grill steaks or burgers on,all kinds of air adjustments.They were on sale for $579.00,but they had 3 left.One had someones name on it and was being held,Another was upstairs in the camping section as a display,but I found one more back outside that was mixed in with some other brands.It had been backed into,and the handle on the door was bent,and one back wheel was bent a little.The sales kid said "let me ask the manager if we can knock any off for the damage".For some reason he said he'd sell it for $519.00 since I was there to pick it up,and knocked off 15% for damage.I got it for$441.99,$448.45 after taxes.The thing is so heavy,they loaded it with a forklift.I drooled and slooberd on it all evening,and at dark,watched the fireworks all the neigbors set off.That was the first night in 2 months I've seen stars in between the clouds,but it was raining yesterday morning when I got up.I didn't hang till all the fireworks were finished,'cause the skeeters sucked so much blood out of me,the beer done a number on me.This place we live in was in the country until 2 years ago,but now is surrounded by Keller and Fort Worth,but we're still county.The addition is maybe 500 acres big,most having 1 acre,a couple of us 2 1/2 acres,and a few 5 acre tracs.We have no fireworks ordanance,so every body and their kinfolks come here to set off firecrackers.It was as good of a show as I've seen anywhere,and all around us.I was in Colorado last year on the 4th,so I didn't know what we missed.God was thanked for holding back the rain for a few hours.Jerry