Military Firearm Restoration Corner

What Are My Options

Having pondered on this sporter thing for months, I'm wondering what are "all" my options? As in what else can I use besides a Mauser? I've seen some Enfields and a few Mosin's, but what else is out there. Any Chinese options? If y'all would entertain me, please post some pics of before and after of differant models, or links to pics. Then maybe I will recognize these hidden treasures when I run across one.

Thanks to you all!

Jay

You can "sporterize" anything.

The second favorite (beyond Mausers) is the P14/M17 Enfield. And don't forget the Springfield 03. Both can be modded just like the Mausers.

Mosin-Nagants, Carcanos, SMLE Enfields and a slew of others have some limitations that prevent the configurability that the above actions do. But, if you can build a functional rifle that meets your hunting/sporting needs, all can be fun to play with.

That's probably a trick question...

For RECHAMBERING, there are no options. The .303 AI or any other improved cartridge is too much for this action.

Now REBARRELING is another matter. 30/40 Krag, 45-70, .444 Marlin, perhaps the .44 Magnum.

Rhineland made (makes?) 45 ACP conversion kits for the Enfields as well.

There are also SMLE rifles in .308 Win (actually 7.62x51 - There is a difference). I'm sure that these would be fine in .250 Savage or .300 Savage, but the latter wouldn't make a damn bit of sense.

There are also SMLE rifles in .308 Win (actually 7.62x51 - There is a difference). I'm sure that these would be fine in .250 Savage or .300 Savage, but the latter wouldn't make a damn bit of sense.

www.jgsales.com has British Enfields in 308 for about 180.00. I don't recall which model. It would give you a jump start on the bolt face but it will be hard to improve on the 308 unless you're interested in a smaller caliber.