Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Stop A Big Puppy From Digging?

roscoedoh

Anyone have any suggestions how I could stop my puppy from digging? I keep finding roots in the yard - I think she's digging up roots. Either way, my landlord kinda grimaces every time he sees my dog nose down in the yard.

We had a "lesson" tonight whereupon I rolled up the latest Midway sales flyer, held her head in the hole she'd dug, and swatted her backside with the paper and kept calling her a bad dog. Then we moved across the yard to look at some more of her handy work and repeated the lesson. Is this the correct thing to do or am I missing something?

I've always had a dog but never trained one. Any ideas?

I found the best way to stop this kind of behavior, is to give the pup some other way to spend her time. Meaning, more play time, or maybe some outdoor toys where she can direct her attention. My dogs favorite is one of those jolly balls, a large rubberball with a rope through the middle that the ball slides on. She'll beat herself silly swinging that thing around for hours. Other than that I found you get better results with positive reinforcement instead of discipline. Meaning if you catch her digging, say no and come, then praise her for stopping and coming instead of disciplining her for digging. The more you can make her value your praise and attention the better she'll listen to you. BTW where are the pics?

-Don

Jason,

I have listened to various solutions to this problem, anywhere from pissing on the dug-up spots to pepper spray.

Here is what I have come down to--and it works,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/fritz/digging-1.jpg

But it depends on your area (do you have prickly pear handy?)

fritz

If you dog is digging anywhere, she could be bored. Chew toys or real bones that will take some time wear down might help. This time of year if she is digging up grass down to moist dirt and laying in it, she might be trying to cool off. My neighbor put up a misting system in a shaded area and his Pitbulls quit digging along side his house. My Rottie every now and then will bury a bone or a toy. He had a favorite spot. Following advice I overheard while my dog was in obediance training. I pissed on the spot while the dog watched and he never dug there again. Still for some strange reason about once a month, he will bury something but still wont dig in the area I pissed on.

I haven't tried it but did read about it on the net. Get some cheap after-shave and put a couple of drops on your hands every day for 10 days so the dog associates the odor with you. If the dog digs or chews in an area put some after-shave on the spot to mark it as your territory. Sounds like a good idea but like I said never tried it, just read it somewhere.

alena007.jpg

I'll give the positive support idea a try. I got paid today so maybe we'll take a run down to Petco this weekend and pick out a couple toys.

So far I've been holding off her digging with chicken wire pegged to the ground with tent stakes. I'd plant prickly pear, but I don't want prickly pear growing all over my yard!