Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Do not call registry

FC

Good for 5 years. www.donotcall.gov or 888-382-1222

2355[/snapback]

Yeah, well, they still call you. But then you get to report them. I use the easy email method. Lots of fun. "I am on the Do Not Call list. What is your 800 number?" "I don't have an 800 number." "This is important, you will give me your 800 number or I will report you as refusing to." "Please wait for my supervisor... Our 800 number is..." biggrin.gif

Dr.Hess

Once I had signed up for the do not call, I was still getting calls. I would ask for their company name. The responce would be ;"I'm calling for such and such company". I would ask; "Not the company you are calling for but the company that signs your paycheck?" "Why do you want that?" "I'm on the no call list and will be fileing a complaint against your company." The next sound I would hear is click and they never called again. After about 4 of these I have been caller free since.

Swamprat

Those "law enforcement" phone calls are just another scam. They get someone who sounds like a thug, err, cop (sorry sailor) to pressure you into giving money to their "chairty."

I did see a blurb on Houston TV once on a secret sticker for the back of your car that guaranteed you to not get tickets. Just don't know which one of the extortion rackets it was.

Dr.Hess

Yeah, a lot pf people think that by donating to one of the associations relating to law enforcement will keep them from getting tickets.

I have news for them--when the governor of Texas orders them to issue more citations (to increase his treasure chest) they will give you a ticket regardless of what stupid sticker you have placed on your vehicle.

Phone and mail scams have been with us for a long time. And will continue to be with us.

However, with each increase in the price of gasoline, the donations will get smaller and smaller. People will still buy gas, but will cut back on donations and other expenditures first.

fritz