Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Any Musically Inlined Peoples Here

cold shot

I was wondering if by chance,besides swamp thing an' myself, are there and musicians here . I'd love to get some feed back on an idea I had. we could compile a tape of all playing the same songs an'myself or someone could do the mixing. Whata ya'll thin' Dave :rolleyes:

I think you would be real disappointed if you had to listen to me play. Playing guitar is something I have played at for years, but I can say with all honesty that I only play at it. For me it is relaxation, for the family it might fall closer to chinese torture! :lol: Sorry to say I am not of the recording caliber and I fear that this is one thing I will never master.

:( soorry to hear that. I was hopin' we all could cut a disc an show them rappers an so called noisey bands what real music sounds like. I guess I'll have to wing it solo. Was in a band since 6th grade. ya know, school an all, then after highschool, had my own country/rock band for 11 years. Dave

Was in a band since 6th grade. ya know, school an all, then after highschool, had my own country/rock band for 11 years. Dave

Had a group of guys in my neighborhood when I was an early teen. Every day after school they would practice and most everybody considered it obnoxious noise, not music. Teens in the area would gather around in the base guitarist's back yard to listen to them practice. Not that we particularly enjoyed the music, it was just a gathering place for kids.

My freshman year I recall them playing at a freshman only school dance and in all honesty they sounded terrible with the exception of their lead guitarist and their lead singer could carry a few notes. They were playing the popular post doo-wop pre-beetles surf type music along the lines of The Beach Boys and Jan and Dean. As long as the lead singer didn't try and hit the high notes mimicking Jan and Dean they were tolerable. When they did Ventures type instrumentals at least we got up and danced but in a nutshell they bombed. Toward the end of the dance they started doing their own thing and everybody was pretty much disappointed. There wasn't any applause at the end of their songs and a good portion of the students hit the exit early. Their music was just impossible to dance to.

Through high school they started improving and eventually were playing local night clubs. Best I recall they were often in trouble at school for being late. Back in those days when schools had dress codes these guys I heard were often sent home to change clothes, get a hair cut or shave. We weren't even allowed to have side burns then. To the band member's credit they didn't do any music glamorizing drug use that was so popular in the mid and late 60's. I knew them well enough to know they were all very anti-drug but I do recall some of them showing up at a few beer guzzling boondockers. In my old neighborhood there were several teenagers that their deaths were related to drugs use in the mid and late 60's. My old neighborhood's teens for the most part avoided drugs and the druggies and the band members pretty much had the same attitude.

The band all graduated a year ahead of me and hit the road looking to make it as a rock band. I remember one member saying he hopes to make enough to cover his car payments. Myself and most others didn't think they would make it. Their style at the time was called underground music and the records they cut were all flops. They persisted though, not giving up, finally cut a record that got some radio play and fortunately for them Mick Jagger heard it, liked it and asked them to tour a few cities with him as an opening act. After that lucky break there wasn't any looking back. After numerous name changes they hit big time known as Alice Cooper. Their lead singer, the one that legally changed his name to Alice Cooper used to make jokes about Barry Goldwater and his mountain top home. Today he lives on a mountain top home adjacent to the Goldwater mansion. To quote a line from an old song, all these band members that didn’t give up are all “dirty filthy stinking rich”!!

My former brother-in-law was asked to join the band before they made it. He declined and often he would say he kicks himself in the ass every day for passing on the opportunity.

we could compile a tape of all playing the same songs an'myself or someone could do the mixing.

Dave

In my prepubescent years I literally was quite the 'choir boy' perfect pitch and all.

Then when the Y chromosomes kicked in that all changed.

In my 20's I was a semi-audiophile.

I would just offer that I think for the endeavor to be a success you would need to start

with the rhythm section laying down the first track then send that along for the others to

play to, so that everyone ends up in sync.

When I was a teenager, from about 13-17 I could really sing. Now I'm doing good if I can whistle a tune. Some teenagers like the Dion, Everly Brothers and Wayne Newton survived puberty and can still carry a note but still don't sound as good as they did as teenagers.

I personaly think this would be fun. I sit for hours playing my keyboards and guitars. Especially on sat,when I have the time,I drive my neighbors crazy with rock ,easy listening and r&b music. I do however turn it all off by 8pm. What would be a good song to lay the tracks for. how many of ya would be interested. I have a 32 channel,in stereo, mixer with 15 band eq.Dave :o