Military Firearm Restoration Corner

What's new with moi

FC

In case anybody much cares. Heck, you all can throw your two cents worth in about what's up with you all too.

The medical review board (I'm a nurse, major, Army Nurse Corps) reviewed my hearing, which has always been poor. Well, despite me saying they should leave me in the O.R., they decided to tell the ANC to reclassify me into another area of nursing. Well, O.R. is very short of nurses, so that made no sense. Well, there were two black females over me. One of the same rank, but she always told the head nurse what she ought to do, and she was floor coordinator too, which was a head trip power position. Trust me, because now that she's at officer advanced course, ALL the nurses talked to the chief nurse and want a good black male reservist nurse to be floor coordinator. The head nurse is going to Iraq.

Well, I found out why the board decided as it did back in June, but it took me till last week to find out why. She said that I was "incapable" of working in the O.R. That is a bald-faced lie. My peers were astounded, and the new floor coordinator tried to keep me there, but it is too late. I have problems hearing at times, but I have adapted, and I do just fine. Also, despite the head nurse acting all caring and crap, she has a chip on her shoulder because I turned her and her compadre into the I.G. because they attempted to sabotage my promotion to major on the grounds I had not been to Officer Advanced Course, and was only a cpt. 4 years. The date was moved back three years. I won. The deputy of the nursing section told me that she tried to sink me on my OER (eval), but he didn't let her. Twice now she told me she is a "good person" and "I'm not out to destroy your career". Damnable liar. So, betwixt that and Elliot Lee jerking me around on fixing us up on our license on this site I'm not in a butt-kissing mood anymore. I can't stand two-faced people. The prior floor coordinator, the one at OAC right now, told me before she left, in a friendly-like fashion that I have it made because I am a male in nursing. She then said that the ones who work hard get passed over, and the ones who don't deserve it get promoted. Who else could she be speaking of other than me? That takes gall, I'll tell you. I'm a trusting person, but they damaged that aspect of my nature.

On the good side- God is good. He gave me a great wife, a promotion, great kids, and now I will be moving to a head nurse position, or will get to do conscious sedation, which I'd dearly love to do. I'll find out within two weeks.

Thanks fellas for being there. Guys these days don't have enough buds.

Oh, may sound dumb, but I always wanted "Rock-em, Sock-em Robots" when I was a kid. We didn't have much for toys, so now I won one on Ebay for $27 delivered for a 1966 model in as new condition. Not bad, eh?

Congrats on your "Rock'em Sock'em Robots", they were before my time but I still play with LEGO's.

Tony, keep up the good fight, we need good officers. I know too many docs to feel comfortable under the knife without a competent nurse around. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of great docs out there, just enough that aren't great that make me nervous. You can be my OR nurse any day of the week.

As for taking the Head Nurse position, well, think of it as a learning experience. In my career I've been a training NCO, team chief, platoon sgt, acting first sgt, and various chogie boy positions along the way. Each job taught me something valuable to assist my soldiers later on. I hope that God blesses you in the same way, and gives you satisfaction in your work.

Jimro

Tony,any time you work where there is a long chain of command,your going to have crooked,coniving,back-stabbing,lying,2 faced sob's doing anything they can to hold you back because you are a threat to their position,or they need you to step on for their advancement.I've worked with dudes 15 years that go into management,and then turn on the ones they called friends for years,deer hunted with,drinking beer after work,and going to their families funerals,just to get one more step on the ladder.You don't know a person until your in their way of the next step from their ambitions.Good luck getting that other job.If you can get it without lying or screwing someone over,it should be so much more gratifying.Jerry

Twice now she told me she is a "good person" and "I'm not out to destroy your career". Damnable lia

FC

From what I have seen when someone tells you they are not out to get you they usually are.

I have it made because I am a male in nursing. She then said that the ones who work hard get passed over, and the ones who don't deserve it get promoted.

FC. as a teacher, I also work is what is considered by some women to be their "turf".

Some of them are fine people but many just plain don't like men.

You and Paintfoot are like me and the Hippy in that you have each other and and are happy together in the long run little else matters.

So enjoy life MAJOR sir, and look forward to bcoming General Farting Chicken laugh.gif

Take care

Karl

The prior floor coordinator, the one at OAC right now, told me before she left, in a friendly-like fashion that I have it made because I am a male in nursing.

I am in a male dominated profession, but if I said something like that to a woman I'd be absolutely crushed by the PC cops. I'd have a few words for her, she should not get away with unprofessional comments like that. mad.gif

Reminds me of a sitcom episode I saw recently where a couple was interviewing nannies for their child. One applicant was male and after meeting him the father expressed concern about his motivations.

His comment was "A man who wants to be a nanny is like a woman who wants to be a ... "

He couldn't think of an appropriate response. Nor can I.

Yet he was ambushed by his wife for not completing the sentence because he had made an inappropriate suggestion that perhaps there were some "traditionally male" professions that women weren't suited for.

It was all funny... or was it?

I am very open to the idea of people doing whatever they want to in this life. (with some exceptions that I won't go into here...) The lone requirement I have is that it is fair and equitable. A two-way street, what's good for the goose is good for the gander, no double standards.

If you can pull your weight then welcome to the club.

But if you can't run with the big dogs then stay out of the kitchen.

Or something like that! huh.gif

I could never work under a long chain of command as you do, Tony.

I managed to get by for awhile with the chain of command thing (and the biases that go with it). I got out of the service without being court martialed, even though I never really kissed fundillo as some who wanted to advance did. Probably what helped me was the fact that I excelled in every class the AF sent me to. In a way, I felt like I had THEM by the balls.

I quit a job without giving two weeks notice once because I was tired of being screwed by the company. It was my final answer to their treatment of me. Besides there were always better jobs out there, and I only worked for someone who took me for what I was. Piss on the rest.

I guess that is why I have been self employed for the better part of my life. Ain't nobody can tell me when to get out of bed, when to report for work, or how much they are going to pay me.

I work for myself, and when I need more money, I work harder. When I do not need the money, I do not work. Simple as that.

But I worked my sieso off for so many years to get to this point in life, that I feel it is coming to me. I missed out on a lot of "quality family time" during the time I was doing everything I could to make a good living for my family.

There was something in The Patriot today about the "quality time vs quantity time". A family needs both. The father who neglects one is going to be sorry for it someday. Luckily, we survived, and are doing very well for ourselves now.

Moral of my little story (and you asked for it, Tony) is that you don't need to kiss sieso all your life. There comes a time when you have to make a decision and ask yourself--"Is it worth it?"

fritz

Well, the more rank I get, the less the number of people I answer to, but the more I'm responsible for. Trade off.

I admit it would be nice to work for one's self. I just don't know what to do to do that sort of thing. Woodworking doesn't pay squat. At least this job I have pays pretty well. It does make it hard to figure what to do sometimes.

Yes, having to answer to as few people as possible is the way to go.

But in the end, we are only going to have to answer to one.

And you know who that is.

Hang in there, and the best of luck to you.

fritz