Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Let's Buy A Garand!

roscoedoh

Sirs,

I applied to the ATF for my paperwork for a C&R license. Supposing everything goes through OK and I become an officially licensed C&R holder, I'd like to own an M1 Garand. I do not have much time to shoot in competitions. Further supposing that the CMP finds a few more M1's to sell, what would I need to do?

Thanks,

Jason

Sirs,

Further supposing that the CMP finds a few more M1's to sell, what would I need to do?

Thanks,

Jason

Jason

It is my understanding that you need to be a member of a gun club associated with the CMP.

I have seen a few at auctions or gun shows $475 to $1300,

Best of luck with your endeavor.

Tinker

They are out there, you just have to be prepared to pay the piper. I lucked into mine, offering an Argie 09 sniper with German turret scope mounts and no scope on rec.guns and got an M-1 in trade.

Be carefull buying long distance. I saw one a couple years ago at a gun club a member bought in. A friend of his bought it via Gunbroker for a thousand. The seller supposidly told the buyer everything he wanted to hear over the phone but it turned out to be a big pile of shoot. It was a parts gun with a badly pitted bore and very worn receiver rails. There are also M-1's out there that were put together by welding two demilled receivers together in the 70's.

Friend of mine bought a brand new M-1 from Springfield in Geneco Illinois. My friend had to pay up front and wait several months. The only down side and some may argue, myself included, Springfield's investment cast recevier is just as good if not better than 60-70 year old forged. http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=57

Well fellas, I filed out the online application Tuesday evening and it was in my mail box today. That's three days transit. That's fast; especially for a government agency!

I've done some more research since I made this post and it looks like a C&R and a membership to either the Garand Collector's Association or a membership to the Panola County Gun Club will cover the requirements to buy from the CMP. Since I shoot at the PCGC all the time when I go shooting with my dad, I'll probably just join that CMP affiliate.

Does anyone know how long it currently takes the BATF to process a C&R application?

I'm working on my first Garand. I got a woodless dane from CMP. Probably one of the last they had.

I've had the op rod rebuilt and I'm replacing all the worn parts and barrel. Then I'll get a stock from Wenig I think.

I plan to have a smith install the barrel and repark.

Only then will I be ready for my first JCG Match.

I got my CMP Garand over 10 years ago, personally handed to me by a uniformed member of Bill Clinton's government (USPS). I didn't need a C&R for that. You do now? I did have to be fingerprinted and wait months. I shot in matches at the Pearland Shooting Club (TSRA affiliate.)

I got my CMP Garand over 10 years ago, personally handed to me by a uniformed member of Bill Clinton's government (USPS). I didn't need a C&R for that. You do now? I did have to be fingerprinted and wait months. I shot in matches at the Pearland Shooting Club (TSRA affiliate.)

I tried during Clinton's admininstration and gave up out of frustration. No matter what I sent it would come back for more information. I qualified with a retired military officer and his grandson. They went through the same bs and also gave up. The final straw was a new id policy. I had to send my driver's license or show up in person, a copy was no longer acceptable.

I delivered some when I worked for the Post Office. They were shipped restricted delivery registered mail. Later I believe the restricted delivery was dropped. I remember delivering two, to a jewerly store and hung around while he opened them. The owner, also a retired NYPD detective and his wife both applied. His wife got a mint and I mean mint no exagguration, a WW2 Winchester. He got an H&R that appeared to have been rebuilt with Springfield parts. At that time, mid 80's there was no choice, just the luck of the draw and all were the same price.

• 2 weeks later...