Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mauser Stock For A Swedish M38?

shenandoahfv

Guys,

I'm new here and have a question. I'm looking at a Swede M38 that has a broken stock. The action and barrel are fine. Is it possible to inlet a mauser stock to fit a Swede M38 action and barrel? Or are the action and barrel smaller than a mauser action and barrel? I'm looking for a wood stock, not a synthetic. I'd also like to get a more "modern" stock, not a replacement military style. Thanks!

Shenandoah

Guys,

I'm new here and have a question. I'm looking at a Swede M38 that has a broken stock. The action and barrel are fine. Is it possible to inlet a mauser stock to fit a Swede M38 action and barrel? Or are the action and barrel smaller than a mauser action and barrel? I'm looking for a wood stock, not a synthetic. I'd also like to get a more "modern" stock, not a replacement military style. Thanks!

Shenandoah

First, welcome to Sporterizing!

Your M38 Swede is a small ring Mauser. Most makers of after-market gunstocks inlet for the small ring actions. Take a look at the offerings from Boyds ( http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ ). Any of the Mauser stocks labled "SM RG" will work.

On a side note, the M38 Swede is becoming difficult to find in original condition. It is not unusual to see them sell for $350-400 in good shape. Because of that, you may want to look around for a military stock or simply repair the stock that you have. Your call........

Clemson

The tang area on a Swede is a little different from a mauser 93-95.

I bought a 96 sporter stock from brownells and had to remove a little wood on the forward edges of the tang to get it to fit.

So if you get a small ring mauser stock for your swede you'll have some gaps in that area.

Kenny