Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Finally Got My Hotrod 30 Years Late

FC

Ford did a good job designing a car that has all the good looks of the late sixties. Much more so than Pontiacs idea of a Grand Am called a GTO. Aound Clevelandville the GT's are very scarce and dealers were getting sticker for them. And forget the Shelby version. Customers were paying up front for the chance to bid on them!

The wife wanted me to get something that gets from point A to point B, but she finally agreed to this. The Shelbys sure are pretty, but way too expensive.

There are some pretty neat cars coming out the next two years- Camaro and Challenger.

No sir, not right now they do not. GM ceased production in 1999 or thereabouts. I hope to own a 98 or 99 someday.

None of this is to take the shine off your new Mustang. A good friend in Houston just bought a blacked out GT and that thing has to be one of the fastest, cleanest looking cars I've ever ridden in. The new Mustangs are really something!

Tony if you like Mustangs check the net for the annual Mustang show in Vegas. I just happened to be there and never saw so many in my life. I'm not just talking about the numerous ones in the show but all over parking lots, the highways and cruising along the strip. Even saw a few with foreign plates. The favorites still seem to be the early GT fast backs. Hopefully things have changed but when I worked for Farmer's insurance in the early 70's Shelby Mustangs were strictly off limits. They had something like a 60% at fault accident rate within the first year.

Speaking of Shelbys, some guy bought a $70,000 one from the dealer recently. Where do people get the money? Yeah, insurance would be scary.

There's a Mustang bulletin board that's pretty good.

Too bad there's really no roads on this island where you can safely cut loose. H-3, by the Dole Plantation, passing and the entrance ramp are my chances to let 'er rip on occasion. :o

Hi Tony, saw the picks of yer Stang. Nice ride. Great color, ought to attract cops real good. Had a red stang years ago, Cops tailed my wife for hours in town. Got a black 87 camero, she really got tailed in every town. Sold it too. gotta taurus now, no more tailing the wife. 'Course the engine is'nt stock either but they don't know it. Anyway, enjoy the stang, we did ours. Dave

• 1 month later...

Stripes are always COOL if placed right. Done yerself proud Tony. As fer the 8 track, think I got one in storage. Took it outa my 67 ford pu just before I sold it. Wished I Woulda kept it. Very Nice ride indeedy. Dave

Weren't 8 tracks great?

I went safe and had somebody else put 4:10 gears in it. I ordered a custom computer tune, and will change it to 91 octane. Ordered a cold air intake and got some decent shocks for the awful stiff ride. It is a fast car, but could be made faster. I am pondering the expense of getting a better sound out of it.

I love the car. I say I waited 30 years, but actually, make that since age 6 that I've wanted a hotrod. It was now or never.

Yeh Tony, that stanger is a nice ride. Kathy, after seeing your pics, reminded me of our old muscle car. wWished I woulda kept that one too. Oh well, Can't keep um forever. Dave