Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Good Western Elk Cartridge

littlecanoe

A friend wants me to help him think through what caliber a fella might need for a western elk hunt.

He has an '06 which I'm sure is more than adequate in most situations. We'll talk it over at lunch on Wed.

I think that he is being swayed by the magnum crowd, not that there is anything wrong with magnums,

but I want to give him some good info on a cartridge that will have reasonable recoil and suggest that he focus

on shot placement and knowing his rifle.

Maybe I should ask it in the following way: WHat would be your non-magnum choice?

What would be your magnum choice?

Thanks,

lc

The 30/06 with a 180gr slug is about as good as it gets but a 35 Whelen would be my first choice. If he is a reloader the somewhat hard to find 30 cal 200 gr bullet would be my favorite. If he insists on the mag route, 338 Win mag would get my vote being that he already has a 30 caliber. As I've learned when somebody asks advice on caliber or gun selection, chances are good they have already made up their mind and are looking for somebody to support their decision. Still you get hard headed types like the 270 or 41 mag fans. They will argue that everything else is just over kill. The best hunter I personally know uses a 300 Savage for Elk and everything else if he is not using a bow.

is he concerned with his caliber choice, or does he just want to buy a new gun? i think a lot of times, wanting a new gun is the real reason behind doubting a perfectly suited caliber like an '06.

:D IMO the 06 is perfect for all around hunting, 'cept for grizz an' polars.I agree with horsefly an' 724wd. Probably just wants a new gun, needs a reason to do so. HAHA. However, Given the choice of magnums, the 338 would be my first

choice. Then he could take grizz an' the likes also. Dave

Thanks for all the input fella's!

We had lunch today and talked about it a bit. We are talking about planning an elk hunt out west over the next few years. Well, we are now anyway! We've both been thinking of this separately and now are thinking of a joint hunt or linking up with some local guys that go out every year.

As we talked it over he did say that he is a bit recoil sensitive. Another friend of his will be bringing a 300 Win Mag by for him to try out. I'm thinking that he won't like the recoil. I threw out the 338-06 and the 35 Whelen and the 338 Win Mag. He's going to research them a bit. From the conversation, I do believe that he's been influenced by someone who has magnumitis. He referred to a friend who bought a 300 Win mag (for whitetail) after a 270 didn't kill one and it ran off. (We're all thinking shot placement at this point).

724wd guessed another thing that's fueling the new gun idea. He has a fairly substantial bonus coming his way. He's got some play money and is thinking down the road a bit.

I ended up suggesting that he consider a complete reloading setup and start working up loads and doing a lot of shooting to get really familiar with his gun. He has a perfect area to set up a 400+ yard range in a creek bottom. I hope that he starts there so that he can really develop a feel for different ranges with the guns that he now has. Then he'll see their potential.

I have had a 338 for 36 years. I have used if for moose and elk. It will definitely get the job done, but I have seen a riled up 6 point take one through the shoulder and run. I mostly shoot deer now, with an occasional antelope thrown in. There is just too much meat in an elk anymore, so other than a nostalgic shooting trip, the 338 stays in the safe.

If your friend is the slightest bit recoil shy, he is not going to like the 338. It is one heck of a cartridge, but it is not for the faint of heart. I have 6 '06's, and they are all more pleasant to shoot. LL

:D IMO the 06 is perfect for all around hunting, 'cept for grizz an' polars.I agree with horsefly an' 724wd. Probably just wants a new gun, needs a reason to do so. HAHA. However, Given the choice of magnums, the 338 would be my first

choice. Then he could take grizz an' the likes also. Dave

The 06 has killed more grizzlies the any other caliber.

Kenny,

I'll pass that on. I'd like him to focus on skills and maybe start to reload and shoot the '06 that he has a bunch. Once there he could look at some premo bullets once he develops good skill and make the old girl even more potential.

Steve

The 06 has killed more grizzlies the any other caliber.
Soory about my statement. All the books I've read was saying the 30 cal ( ie: 06, 300win mags)too lite for the big bears.

guess I need different books to read. Just my .035 worth. Dave