Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Garands, Carbines, And The Cmp

Clemson

I hope you guys who have been waiting to buy a Garand will go to the CMP website and take a look. It is at www.odcmp.com

The CMP has received another "lot" of Garands from the Army, and they are processing them now for sale. Field Grade guns will be $495. Those called Service Grade are $595. You can see the grading criteria on the website, but rest assured that even a Field Grade gun will function just fine. It may have more bore wear, but if you totally shoot it out, you can rebarrel for about $200.

Also, the CMP is selling M1 Carbines now. I understand that they got around 100,000 back from Italy (Don't hold me to that number!). They sold about 10,000 Inlands initially, and they are processing Underwoods for sale beginning this week. I have seen several of the Inlands, and they are NICE! The Underwoods are going for (I think) $565. Again, the actual prices are posted under "Sales", and then "Rifle Sales."

To buy a CMP rifle, you fill out the application, join a CMP affiliated organization (Garand Collectors Association is really easy, and they send your membership data straight to the CMP.), and show proof of firearms "knowledge". That can be satisfied by shooting in a match, sending a copy of a C&R License, sending in a copy of a DD214, sending a copy of a Concealed Weapons License, proof of an NRA training course, or pretty much anything else that will establish you as a firearms-capable person.

If the rifle does not work, the CMP will make it right or take it back, despite what their lawyers post on the website. If you don't trust the mail system (and they mail it straight to your door!), you can pick out a rifle in person at the CMP store at Camp Perry, Ohio or Anniston, Alabama.

There is absolutely no excuse not to get a Garand, a carbine, or whatever else your heart palpitates for at a price that is easily half the gunshow price for these guns.

Good luck!

Clemson

Thx Clemson, I'm definitely interested in a carbine. My Iver Johnson M-1 Carbine although all it's parts are interchangable with US GI it is not quite the same as the real thing. Sure wish DCM could get some of those Italian BM-59's. I believe many of the BM-59's were made with US M-1 rifles. I don't imagine the US govt would allow them to be imported.

• 2 months later...

I'll second what Clemson said. The CMP is a great place to buy a US milsurp at a more than fair price.

They were out of Garands for about 6 mos this year for the first time that Garands have been milsurps. They're drying up but you still have a window of opportunity to own the first great semi-auto rifle. There are friendly Garand matches just about anywhere and these great old guns have excellent sights and can be amazingly accurate. And if yours isn't they're fun to work on and I haven't seen one that with some careful work and a recrown wouldn't put them all in the black at 100 yds. CMP still has good quality and accurate Greek surplus 30-06 for ~ 200/cs (~900 rds). You can sell the resulting brass for almost half of that.

You guys will be kicking yourselves when you come to your senses and want one of these and can only find them beat up at the gun show for $1200.